Over the ice

Requested by the amazing Floractic

Figure skaters AU
Teenager AU
(George - 17
Clay - 16)

Figure skating - a sport in which individuals, pairs, or groups perform spins, jumps, footwork and other intricate and challenging moves on ice skates.

//- George -\\

I walked into the ice rink, bag over my shoulder. I'd been coming to this ice rink to do figure skating for about 5 years. I sighed, knowing I still had no partner to do skating with. See there was an odd number of members in the group and I was the only one left without a partner.

"Oh George- you're here good."

I nodded, standing outside the rink waiting to go put my stuff away.

"I have some good news, there's finally someone for you to partner up with. He's been doing this for ages, about 7 years. He's already on the ice, go get ready and then go talk to him."

I nodded, looking around the rink.

"He's the one in the green leotard. Or yellow for you i guess. You just took for someone with freckles and his hair in a bun."

I hummed, going to get ready. I pulled my hoodie, shoes and sweat pants off. I huffed, putting my skates on and heading out onto the ice. I skated over to the boy I had been told to look for, as I got closer to him I could see his features more clearly.

His hair, was golden brown and was put up in a tight bun. His freckles, dotted across his face like a constellation. His eyes, looked yellow but I assumed they were green. They were very bright anyway.

I stopped right beside him, watching as he stretched and spun around with such grace and delicacy.

"Uh excuse me..?"

He stopped spinning, by dragging his foot behind him. He caught his breath, looking up at me.

(Dreams a shorty-)

"Oh hi- I'm sorry I didn't see you there."

"Oh it's fine. Uh coach told me to come and see you. You're my new partner."

He nodded, looking around as the coach made his way onto the ice. He blew his whistle and called us over to where he stood.
Me and the new boy skated over as did the rest of the group.

"Ok guys! First off I would like to thank our newest member, Clay! I would like you all to treat him with respect. Everyone but Clay and George I would like you to continue making your routines for the competition."

Everyone else nodded, turning around and skating away. Me and Clay turned back to coach.

"Ok so George, I would like you to show Clay the part of the routine you have come up with. Clay you can then implement your own parts and techniques."

We both nodded, skating towards an empty space on the ice rink.

"So- coach tells me you've been doing figure skating for 7 years?"

"Yeah. I'm sixteen so I've been doing it since I was about 9. I really enjoyed watching my sister have a phase of it and I began doing it. Turns out it wasn't a phase."

I chuckled softly, offering to show him my part of the routine. He nodded, and began watching me as I skated, spun and jumped around the ice rink. I felt nervous when doing it. Not sure why, but something about the new boy watching me made me feel like I was doing everything wrong.

Maybe it was because he had been doing this longer than me.
Maybe It was because he was new.
Maybe because he was amazing at just spinning- and I felt as though I needed to impress him.