Beautiful, Ugly

(Cedric's POV)

It's a beautiful morning.

I took a seat beside the window and read the news.

Somebody started knocking. I brought my weary self to the door and opened it.

I smiled. "GL."

She smiled back and walked past me. She placed the basket of fruits on the table.

"How is she?", she asked as she turned to me.

"She's better now", I answered while heading back to my previous seat.

"I was thinking that you're even busier now, with your mom in the hospital."

I looked at her. "I am."

She just shrugged.

"That's why I come here really early. It's the only time I can put aside work." I lifted my hand and checked the time. "I'll be leaving in a few minutes."

"Would you mind if I stay longer?"

I shook my head. "It's fine."

I chatted with her until it's time to go. I stood up and gave my mom a kiss on the forehead.

"You take care of her, okay?", I asked with a wink.

* *
(GL's POV)

As soon as the door closed, I pulled my chair closer to the bed.

I don't even know why I feel so sad for someone who Dad almost chose to be with, for the person who made Mom cry and question her value to Dad. It angers me even more because he was Dad's first love. And they say, first love never dies.

She's still my best friend's mother, though. At least I have a reason to control my hatred.

A soft moan interrupted my thoughts. I turned to Chairwoman Zhang.

She smiled at me and I reached out for her hand.

"Good morning", I said with the warmest smile I could plaster.

She held my hand tighter. "Glitt-"

I waved my hand. "You don't really have to talk!"

She chuckled. "I'm fine."

I sighed, calming myself.

"You having a break from Bangtan?", she asked. I gave her a nod.

"I never thought you were sick", I blurted out. Her smile faded while she slowly turned to look at the window.

I let go of her hand and cleared my throat. "Sorry."

She faintly smiled. "I didn't know how to tell them."

I just sat there, listening.

"I didn't want to be a burden. I know they will overreact, especially Cedric. I know he will make me see the doctor very often and confine me every time I get a little flu."

I smiled. That's Cedric, all right.

"I'm sure I won't last long."

With my caring instincts, I held her hand. "Please don't say that."

She turned to me and smiled. "I liked you because you were very frank. Very honest. Very realistic. Why are you not being yourself today?"

I looked at her with worried eyes.