Tanned Skin

(Meisha's POV)

I stepped out of my room as soon as I woke up. It has been my daily routine since I came into this house to wake up at 4am to help in the kitchen. I wonder how GL is doing right now? It's been 2 weeks since she stormed out of the house. She hasn't come home since then. I feel so guilty.

And I haven't noticed any panicking from her family. Do they know where she is? Or are they just used to her being like this? Or they just don't care?

"Oh. You're here. Come here and chop the spices", Sooyoung-eonnie said as soon as she saw me enter the kitchen. "Did you sleep well?"

I nodded at her as I took out a knife and a chopping board.

"But you could sleep longer if you just don't bother to help us. You're also a daughter of this house. You shouldn't be here."

"Aniyo (no). Gwenchanayo (it's okay). That 'daughter of the house' title doesn't even suit me and I'm not used to just sitting around without doing anything."

She smiled at me as she stirs the pancake batter.

Everyone who works in this house is nice to me but Sooyoung-eonnie takes care of me more than anyone else. All I know about her is that she has been around this house since she was 6 when her late grandmother and late mother was still working here and also that her mother was also a mistress. We're so alike. At least I don't feel alone and different in this house.

"Can I ask something, eonnie (older sister)?"

"Sure."

"About GL.."

"Yep?"

"Has she been always.. like that?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Rebellious?

"She's quite like that. But she's very nice to us."

I nodded at what she said and stood up to add the spices in the pot. "Why aren't they looking for her?"

Before eonnie could even answer, Mr. Park, the butler, joined our conversation. "It's not a good idea."
He grabbed an apple from the fruit tray and started eating it.

"Is this the longest she's been away?", I asked.

"She just arrived last month so, obviously", eonnie answered.

"So she's new here? Where did she come from then?"

"Where have you been all this time, Miyoung? Why are you so outdated? And we're talking about your father's daughter. How come you have no freaking idea about anything?", Mr. Park asked with a laugh.

"Except Dad and his famous wife, I really have no idea about the rest of the family. I didn't even know they have three children."

"It's impossible that you don't know GL", Gain-eonnie butted in after she finished cleaning the living room.

"I know her. She's quite famous in the internet. But I didn't know she is in this family. I just thought she was some famous celebrity who went briefly to another country for vacation and people started celebrating when she came back."

"Geez. It's GL's first time here in Korea and she's actually from Canada. You get it now, cave man?", Sooyoung-eonnie teased. Except the desserts, everything is finally cooked and prepared.

"Yes, eonnie. I didn't really have the time to do other things when I was still with Mom. She has to be looked after. And I had to work."

"Didn't Mr. Wu support you back then?", Mr. Park asked.

"He tried. Mom wouldn't accept anything from him. She doesn't even want Dad to call or meet us because she's worried that Dad would lose his good reputation if ever he gets caught by the media."

"If it's not much to ask, what was she like? Your mom?", Gain-eonnie asked after she went to the dining area to place the food with Sooyoung-eonnie and the other maids.

"GL reminds me so much of her. The way she glares, the way she talks, her unruliness. They're so much alike when Mom is drunk or angry. She does what she wants and is so hard to handle when she's at it."

"Isn't that the reason why your mom caught Mr. Wu's attention? She was a mere replica of his precious daughter. But that sounds so wrong if you think the other way", Sooyoung-eonnie laughed.

"I have no idea how she did it. And let's not just think that way because it's so awkward", I said and we all laughed.

Mr. Park checked his wristwatch and gave a clapping signal to everyone to prepare everything since it's already 6:00 in the morning, the usual time Dad and Mrs. Wu wakes up and Giann-oppa and Garry-oppa comes home from work. But since Dad has already went back to Canada and Mrs. Kim (Mrs. Wu's mother) is still away for a convention, Mrs. Wu has to wake up alone.

The first time I met Mrs. Kim, I broke out in cold sweat. I was so scared at how she would react to finding out her daughter was cheated on. I almost wanted to run away when Mrs. Wu and Dad talked to her for me. But after hearing what happened to me and seeing that her daughter accepts me, I guess she was okay with it. She didn't say hurtful things about me and just silently left the room. She nods at me every time I greet her when we meet around the house and I never heard anything from her that she wanted me out of her house. Except for GL, I guess everything else is under control.

"You're back!", I heard Mrs. Wu exclaim from the living room. I quickly turned around and walked towards the entrance of the kitchen. I thought it was Gian-oppa or Garry-oppa but this person has long, blonde hair, tanned skin, and flashy shades on. A tall and very good-looking guy, with a small, purple luggage in hand, is with her. The same guy she was with when we first met.

GL is back.

Mrs. Wu hugged her and she hugged back while the tall guy just smiles at the sweet scene. Is everything okay now? She looks happy.

"Where have you been? It's been quite long and you've become dark", I heard Mrs. Wu say. I tried so hard not to laugh.

"I've been with the Zhangs to China and Barcelona."

Zhang? Isn't that also a rich family? I heard they own the prestigious Crown University and the largest fishing company in Asia. Mom used to work as a cafeteria cook in their school. And did she really travel that far without her parents' consent? I have always dreamed of visiting Barcelona but she just went there like it's in the province. These rich kids, really.

"I'm really sorry for keeping this from you, Mrs. Wu", the tall guy apologized with a 90-degree bow. "She went to our house one day before our departure. Without the assurance that she would come home, we thought it was a better idea to take her with us. And she warned me not to call you. I'm really sorry."

"Oh. Stop bowing, Cedric", Mrs. Wu told her as he lightly pushed his shoulder back up. "That was very thoughtful of you. Thank you. And please send my thanks to your parents, too."

Cedric smiled and bowed to her again. "Ageusumnida (I will do that)."

"Ya. What are you staring at?", GL called out to me. I jerked in surprise while the other maids quickly went back to their work after eavesdropping. Mrs. Wu and Cedric looked at me.

"I think I saw you before', Cedric asked GL.

"That's Miyoung. Remember that girl who ruined my sweater? Turned out she was rushing to come here at that time. Her mother was loyal in this household for years and she was also a friend to Mom. But she died and Miyoung has no one except her. My parents decided to take her in."

GL's lie was quick. I almost died while Mrs. Wu stuttered to find an answer.

Cedric nodded at her and looked at me. "Anyeong (hello)", he said with a wave. I quickly gave him a bow before rushing inside the kitchen.

Although I understand that they can't expose my real identity to protect the reputation they hold, I can't avoid getting hurt. Being a mistress's daughter is so hard.