The Truth

(Yifan's POV)

"Let's end it here. Thank you all for coming", I said as I shut down my laptop. They stood up from their seats and left. I closed my eyes and leaned the back of my head against the chair.

"Is Glitters still in the hospital?"

I guess not everybody left.

I opened my eyes. "She's still recovering."

The two biggest shareholders nodded their head as they handed their documents to their secretary and ordered them to leave the room. The moment the door closed, they're not the company's shareholders anymore but my childhood best friend and my closest cousin.

"That's great, Wu-wu", Dena replied.

"When will you stop calling me that? We're not kids anymore."

"Well, until I get sick of it. Hopefully", my cousin replied as she crossed her arms.

"Let's go out for dinner", Mea suggested as she pulled my arm. "You've become thinner, Yifan."

"I've had some before I came here."

Mea rolled her eyes. "We've been friends since the ice age! You can't fool me."

She stood up from her seat and tried pulling me up.

"Stop pulling. It's so childish", I commented.

She let out a sigh and let go.

"I'm going back to the hospital. Let's just see each other around", I continued as I left my seat.

"If you won't go out and eat with us, at least get some rest", Dena said, stopping me in my tracks.

I looked at them over my shoulder. "I'm fine."

"Fine? Look at me." Dena grabbed my arm and turned me around. "You look dead, Yifan."

I angrily let go of her grasp. "That's not your problem."

"Don't go stupid this time, will you? You've done it a lot of times already and I beg you, not now."

"You're my cousin, Dena. But I don't really need you telling me what to do."

"I'm family, Yifan. I care."

"Please don't."

I almost got a slap from Dena but Mea was faster. She did it for her.

My ear went deaf for a moment.

"F*ck you and your myocarditis, Yifan. Don't act so tough and strong because you're not."

Why is she suddenly swearing? I'm not used to this.

"What if one day, your heart won't be able to bear it anymore? What would we tell your children? Surprise! Your dad was sick but he chose not to tell you because you'd worry! Like that, Yifan?", Mea said to interrupt the silence.

"Lower your voice, Mea. Somebody might hear you!", I exclaimed.

"No, Yifan. You listen to me. When are you gonna stop pretending?"

I clenched my fist and closed my eyes.

"Do you think Glenda is happy right now?", Dena said as she stared into my eyes.

Hearing my sister's name, my heart started hurting. "Why is she suddenly involved in this conversation?"

"She concealed her pain with smiles. She continued being tough. It all seemed real. Until that one day that took us all by surprise", Dena bravely continued.