Lenses

(Khione's POV)

I finished reading the last chapter and closed my book. I adjusted my glasses before speaking up to my worried brother. "I left my car at the club."

He suddenly stepped on the brake that sent my book flying. "What?! I thought.. Argh! Of course. Why didn't I think of that?"

"We can just send the driver to take it home when we get there", I said as I picked up the book.

"Yea. Yea. Of course." Then he continued driving.

"I'm sorry."

He gave me a smile through the rearview. "It's okay."

Well, everything used to be better than okay. Until last year when all these sh*t started happening. I don't really know what got into our sister that she found clubbing fascinating.

"I promise not to let her go clubbing again even if she burns my books."

"No. I know how much your mini library means to you. You don't have to."

Girls at 16 can roam around by themselves if they want to but not in Thalia's case. Ever since she started all these partying, my brother and my parents doesn't let her go anywhere without me. I gladly took the responsibility of watching her so I'm practically with her all the time.

"But this is getting out of hand", I reasoned out.

"We'll find a way. Home school, or let's send her abroad, or grou-"

His worried tone and discontinued suggestion made me feel guilty. I know what he was about to say but he chose to stop. I should've been a better sister. I clasped my book real hard in anger.

"Look, Khione. I know you're scared that she will repeat what happened last year. We almost lost her. It scares me too."

I still remember the fear I felt when I saw blood flowing from my sister's wrist as she lays unconscious on the floor. I stll remember how much I shouted for help and ran downstairs as fast as my feet could carry me. I still remember how Papa carried her downstairs to the car while Mama ran after them in tears. I still remember Cedric-oppa pacing back and forth in front of the emergency room while I quietly blamed myself why I came up with the idea of grounding her to stop her from going to clubs.

Tears started falling on my thick lenses so I took it off and wiped it with my shirt.

"Step out", he told me as the car came to a stop. Even though I'm confused, I did what he told me. He also stepped out and then gave me a hug. That's when tears started falling like crazy.

"It wasn't your fault. You were worried, you were just trying to help", he said as he rubbed my back and placed his chin on top of my head.

Even if Thalia burns my books, we don't really know if it all ends there. I don't want to make another risky proposal. I'm scared.

He wiped away my tears and opened the door for me. We continued driving until we reached the house. Oppa carried Thalia upstairs while I conversed with the driver.

"I left my car at that Paradise club. Just take the other driver with you so he can drive the other car home.  Here are the keys", I said as I picked out my keys from my leather sling bag.

He took my keys and bowed before they left. I let out a sigh and walked inside. I bumped into my brother who is now leaving again.

I stepped out of the way and let him pass. He smiled and patted my head.

"GL's not that mean after all. Give her my thanks. That was some cheque she got there", I called out to him.

"I thought I was the only one who noticed it."

"You're not the only one who has seen lots of cheques. I recognize it too."

He smiled and waved at me before he drove off. I turned around to get inside when Mama noticed me. I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Where's your sister?", she asked. Looks like she didn't see Thalia in that state.

"Oh. She's already in her room", I said.

"Did you eat already?"

"Nope. I'm going to grab some food in the fridge later, after I change."

"Okay."

"Wait." I stopped her in her tracks and grabbed the wine glass from her hand. "You've already drank a lot at the party last night."

"You know I rarely get drunk. It's okay, my snow princess", she said as she cupped my cheek.

My birthday's not even during the winter season but she has named me after the snow goddess, Khione. My sister was named after one of the nine muses, the goddess of music, song, and dance, Thalia (suits her for being a party person). And my brother's name was from the Percy Jackson series, an old book that Mama first lent me. She said that Cedric was a demigod who is a son of Zeus. My Mama is into this greek mythology stuff which I also find interesting.

"I just hope Thalia rarely gets drunk, too", I whispered to myself.

"What was that?", she wondered.

I looked at her and lifted my glasses to the higher part of my nose bridge. "What? Nothing. I'm going upstairs now."

"Khione?"

"Yea?"

"I really think contact lenses would be more comfortable. Do you really want to stick with glasses?"

"Yep. I like it", I said as I ran upstairs and closed the door behind me.