37 - Fresh Start

**NEW YEARS EVE**

We went over to Lisa's for a big New Years Eve bash. We pulled in the driveway and Chris got out of the car, helped me out and then Dodger jumped out as well.

"Can we please tell them we are trying?" Chris asked as we walked to the door.

"Don't you want to keep it to ourselves? I mean we tell everyone, and it puts expectations on us. I just want it to be me and you Chris, just for now." I said and Chris smiled. He leaned in and gave me a small kiss. We walked in the front door and Dodger ran in ahead of us to the living room. We heard the kids get excited as we took off our shoes and coats.

We finally walked in the living room to see Scott enthralled in a game Twister with Miles and Ethan.

"Hurry go tickle Scott!" Chris said and acted like he was going after him, Scott flinched.

"Don't you dare!" Scott yelled and we all laughed as we went around and gave hugs and kisses. Scott and I sat on the couch as Stella brought over a deck of cards.

"Uncle Chris, Auntie Ronnie will you guys play cards with me?" Stella asked and I smiled at her as Chris took the deck of cards to shuffle them.

"Of course, we will sweetie." I said.

"What are we playing? Texas hold 'em...poker..." Chris trailed off.

"Frozen blackjack?" I asked Chris and he clenched his legs closed, Lisa and Carly laughed knowing I was referring to a game he played one night on Jimmy Fallon's late night talk show.

"Hell no." Chris said, and we all laughed hysterically.

"Uncle Chris, what's frozen blackjack?" Ethan asked from the twister mat.

"An evil game."

"Only if you lose." I said and he glared at me with a smirk on his face.

"What are we playing Stella?" Chris asked.

"Go fish." She said and I smiled.

"Sounds good." I said as Chris dealt out the cards. I looked above Lisa's fireplace and smiled.

"You hung up your picture already?" I asked and she nodded.

"Of course, I did. It's amazing Ronnie." She said and I smiled.

Like mine and Chris's photos I had him make one for Lisa as well, but this was the whole family on a Disney trip. This was the most recent one that I wasn't able to go on, but he added me in the picture anyway without my knowledge until I got the picture.

"Well, I'm happy you love it." I said, Chris and I started playing Go Fish with Stella. She won all the hands we played, Chris and I didn't understand it.

🔵 🔵 🔵

It was after 11 and the kids were all asleep in their rooms upstairs. They tried to make it to midnight but no such luck. I was helping Lisa clean up the I started to get the twister mat up.

"Hey, wait..." Chris said and looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Play a game of twister with me."

"I don't feel like breaking a bone, Chris." I said and he laughed.

"Are you chicken?" Chris asked as he and Scott started making chicken noises. I looked at Lisa who was too busy laughing.

"Fine, one game. Don't kill me Evans." I said and he laughed as we got step up, having Scott the spinner.

We were going through the game and neither Chris nor I was giving up easily. We were in a very compromising position, and I just looked at Chris who was smirking at me.

"Stop enjoying this!" I said with a laugh, and he laughed hysterically.

"This is just hilarious." Chris said and I smiled.

"Alright Ronnie, right hand blue." Scott said and I sighed knowing I had to get therearound Chris.

"Don't move." I said and he laughed as I got my hand on the spot easily.

"Alright Chris, left foot green." Chris said and I looked at him and he smiled.

Chris and I tried maneuvering so he could get to the spot. He ended up nudging my hand making me lose my balance. I toppled over taking Chris out in the process. I ended up landing on top of him and we were laughing until I looked down at him and leaned in giving him a small kiss.

"HEY! NO! GROSS!" Scott yelled and we started laughing again as we broke apart. I rolled off Chris and we both sat up. He sat with his back against the coffee table and beckoned for me with his finger and I moved over to him and sat between his legs as he wrapped his arms around me. He grabbed his phone from the coffee table. He took a couple pictures of us and I knew it was for the book.

"So, look at you two. Pretty cozy." Shanna said and we smiled at her.

"We are..." I said snuggling back into Chris more.

"Why not just make it official?" Shanna said holding up her left hand wiggling her ring finger.

"Aww Shanna, that's sweet but you're my sister, that's illegal." Chris said and we all started laughing as she threw some popcorn, she was eating at him.

"I mean with Ronnie. I mean it's not like you two don't know each other. Why not just get married." Shanna said and I looked back at Chris, and he sighed with a shrug.

"I mean maybe soon. I know I haven't thought about it. I don't know about Chris though." I said and he just shrugged again.

"Maybe I have." Chris said. I snapped my head to look at him and he smiled.

"You have?" I asked.

"Well yeah, of course I have. You think I don't think about you and being married and what that would mean for me and us?" Chris asked and I shrugged.

"I mean I didn't think of it that way." I said and Chris kissed my cheek. "I mean if we were to get engaged does it throw me out there and everything?" I asked and Chris sighed.

"I mean it could and they could find out about your past..." Chris said, and I groaned. His grip on me tightened. "It's fine Ronnie, I would protect you from anything and everything. You know I like my private life and I can always leave you in that aspect." Chris said.

"That's like hiding her away Chris." Carly said speaking up.

"It might not be the worst thing." I said and Chris sighed.

"We will talk about it when it comes. I mean I would love for you to walk some carpets with me but if you don't feel comfortable, I won't force you." Chris said and I smiled with a slight nod.

"We can talk about it when it comes up." I said and Chris nodded.

We looked at the TV and saw that the ball was about to drop in 5 minutes. It was almost the year 2020 and I was ready for a fresh start.

This year had been plagued with so much drama, so much turmoil and so much of everything else I just wanted a fresh start with Chris, and we could work on starting our future.

We all talked about various things leading up to when the ball started to drop.

"It was the count down from 10 seconds and we all were counting down."

"3...2...1...Happy New Year!" We all shouted. I turned my head back to Chris. He brought a hand up to my cheek as he leaned in and passionately kissed me. He slid the hand from my cheek to the back of my neck.

When we finally broke apart, I rested my forehead on his.

"I don't care about much, and I don't need much, as long as I have you. It's just the two of us together." I whispered and Chris smiled pulling his forehead from mine.

"And soon hopefully baby makes three of us together." Chris whispered back and I smiled leaning in to kiss him again.