Chapter 39: A Remnant Of History...

Finals week was tuff, huh? Sorry for the late chapter and I hope you enjoy!

______________________________________

3rd POV

A gray sky that stretched for miles covered the site of the train wreck. Particles of snow continued to gently sway in a breeze as it fell to the earth beneath it, twisting and turning before it hit the steel carts that lay toppled on snow-covered dead grass.

Courageous sat atop one of these carts, her knees pulled close to her as she curled up to preserve warmth, as if she needed to. She stared into the thick boreal tundra beyond the edges of the wreck, watching the perimeter. Instead, as if an alert guard, her eyes still shined a brilliant blue yet had a despondent look. Her tail lay against the side of the cart, hanging into one of the cracked windows while the rest of it was partially covered by snow. Next to her, she kept the Relic of Knowledge propped against her body, the handle magnetically attached to her hip.

'Spring, what's the plan?' The French girl thought.

Shortly after, the speech pattern would appear to the right of her HUD. 'Just keep the Relic and stay with the group. I'm not picking up any blips on my radar, so...'

"Got it." The frigate softly mumbled.

She had deliberately ignored the salvaging operation around her, opting to act as a guard instead. The girl closed her eyes to rest for a minute and listened to the complaining of a nearby blonde brawler as she struggled to free her motorcycle from the snow.

"Great! This is just great! We're stranded, we lost a third of our party, and we've gained a defenseless old lady!" Yang loudly groaned. With one final heave, she managed to extract her vehicle, falling over as she did so.

"My name is Maria Calavera, and I am not defenseless! I'm just a little hard of hearing. And blind without my eyes, that are in desperate need of repair." The old lady tapped on her prosthetics, which widely opened and closed before opening narrowly again. "Okay, I'm starting to see your point."

Qrow grunted at the ignorance of his niece. "Yang, knock it off, will ya? If we lose our cool now, we'll just be inviting even more Grimm."

"Does that even matter? Apparently, we've been attracting Grimm ever since we left Haven." A ticked off Blake grumbled.

"Oh, and how could I forget about that?" The blonde brawler turned to the farmhand with irritation. "What happened to no more lies and half truths?"

Oscar frowned and spoke to the headmaster. "Yeah, I think it's time we got an explanation..." Shortly after, the farmhand's eyes shined a bright green as the headmaster took control of his body.

"I did not lie to you..." Ozpin defended himself.

"Well, you certainly didn't tell us everything about the Relic." Weiss narrowed her eyes at the man.

"Please, now is not the time." The headmaster tried to defuse the situation.

"No, we're past that! I wanna know why you're still not telling us everything!" Yang exclaimed with a point to the boy.

"It is true that the Grimm are attracted to the Relics. It's faint but undeniable. I believe it has to do with their origin, but I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, I feared that making you all aware would only add anxiety and negativity. It seemed like the safer option." Ozpin attempted to half-heartedly explain.

Annoyed, the heiress crossed her arms and shook her head. "You know, I'm getting real tired of people choosing what's best for me."

"Is that why you chose to lie to everyone about Lionheart, too?" Yang accused him.