Chapter 33: Trials and Tribulations

3rd POV

It was a crisp, cool morning over the expansive Kingdom of Mistral. A gentle gust of wind swept between the trees of a forest as the birds had started to sing their little melodies, serving as a little alarm to some.

It was a good way to start the day for most, especially if it happened to be a group of three.

After their uncomfortable encounter with the shady woman from the day before, the three took refuge at a nearby inn in preparation for an important day. However, to their dismay, and perhaps fortune, the three would be forced to share a single bed room while the woman who led them to their destination left for errands.

So, as you'd expect, the blonde brawler and auspicious Aussie had managed enough sleep for the day while the little girl slept comfortably between them.

"Hey... you up?" Perth quietly whispered to the other young adult.

Yang silently and slowly shifted her body to face the boy. "Yeah. What's up?" She quietly asked, rubbing her eyes.

The boy felt his heart skip a beat, even if she was less than presentable at the moment. "I-I was curious. Do you actually trust her?"

She furrowed her brow in slight confusion for a moment before it clicked. "Oh, Shay. Of course I don't." Her expression immediately soured as her tone took on a venomous one. "Especially how she flirted with you like that. Ugh, who does she think she is, that-"

"Loud..." Wellington cut her off with a mumble, turning toward the woman as she did so. "...cold..." She practically latched onto the blonde.

Taken aback by the sweet gesture, Yang felt her face heating up as she hesitantly returned a gentle embrace.

"Aw, how cute~" Perth warmly smiled at the scene. "We look like a little family, hm?"

"Hah! I guess I'll be mommy and you can be daddy..." Yang responded with an eye-roll of feigned confidence, slightly turning a shade of flustered red at the concept. "...Hey? I was wondering if you wanted kids in the future... just curious." She stared into his charming eyes, feeling excited for an answer.

"Hm... never really thought about kids." Perth answered as he began to gently pet the girl between them. "But if I had to answer... I'd say just one. Preferably a little girl I could spoil."

"Me too!" The blonde immediately responded. "And you wanna know something?" She slightly quieted down as if she was a little embarrassed.

"Shoot."

"W-well, I'd want my future husband, whoever the lucky and cute guy is, to spoil me too. Like once I'd come home after a long day of work, I can collapse into his arms while he sweetly tells me everything's gonna be okay and how he promises to always be there for me." She began to lose herself in his eyes, reflecting on a promise he told her. "And he'll just pamper me when it's just us... kinda like now, but if you were him and if you... I don't know... pet me too?" She expectedly leaned forward.

Perth lightly chuckled before asking a question of his own. "I hope your future husband isn't as short as me. You deserve someone tall and strong, if that's your type-"

"But that's not my type." Yang began to frown. "I want a guy who's... short, maybe with a sibling or two that's nice, eyes I could get lost in, and someone... someone who's always had faith in me." She continued to expect something from the boy. "Kinda like you."

She could not make it more obvious.

"Dang... hope you find someone like him." Perth smiled but was a bit heartbroken she already had someone in mind. "But I guess that's gonna have to wait until then, huh?"