Chapter 24: Man The Guns

3rd POV

Tense.

That is the word that could be used to describe the current situation in space. A tense showdown between two grizzled sides of a war that makes the issues on Remnant seem so insignificant.

On one side, the UNSC had pulled every single warship for what could be their last stand. On the other, the Covenant had done the same but with the tiny detail of a missing corvette.

Regardless, the aliens still stood a far better chance than the humans, and they knew it.

Godspeed quietly sat in his captain's chair, staring at the scene ahead of him. While everyone else in the fleet frantically called out orders, he simply stared at his opponent, analyzing them.

"Godspeed?" The voice of a hated individual spoke, instantly quieting the two sides as he became the sole speaking warship.

The admiral gritted his teeth and did his best to maintain his composure. "Harrowing Salvation."

"Ah, it seems the dementia hasn't set in yet." Salvation spoke with a confident tone. "Anyways, I've contacted you about one last chance for negotiations..."

Godspeed frowned and decided he had enough. "Open fire." He calmly ordered his fleet.

Not a moment later, the MAC cannons of the frigates would charge up and fire their first rounds. The streaks of light soared through the empty space before some found their targets in the now advancing light cruisers, rippling their shields.

It's a pity you can't really hear these beautiful instruments in space, let alone anything else.

Shortly after, every ship that could, would begin their deployment of strike craft as fire began to erupt from both sides. Longswords, Pelicans, Seraphs, Banshees, Phantoms, and even the single Saber squadron would leave their ships and begin pouring out onto the battlefield. A squadron of Longswords would immediately claim the first kills as it tore right through a small batch of Banshees that had tried to pursue a Pelican.

The frigates, destroyers, corvettes, and light cruisers darted forward to meet each other head on, with the exception being Courageous as she slowly turned before firing a salvo from her starboard auxiliaries, launching a volley of Archer Missles shortly after. Once this was done, she began to dip her bow and make a descent toward the planet to provide support on the surface.

The capital ships remained behind and began to fire their weapons at each other from a distance and effectively coordinate their strike craft. After a brief exchange between the capital ships, the Defiance and Faithful Respite broke off from the back line and began to slowly close the gap between each other, relentless barraging the other as they did their best to support their respective sides with strike craft.

These two sides would clash, one much more experienced in this new age of space combat while the other had managed a technological breakthrough.

______________________________________

"WARNING: SAFETY BARRIERS FAILING" The PA system warned to the people still inside.

As civilians run past her in a panic, Ruby stays kneeling on the ground with her head down, her expression in a mixture of shock and sadness. As the Nevermore circles around the colosseum, Pyrrha struggles to stand as she looks in shock at the torn apart Penny Polendina.

Jaune shouted to the champion from the stands with the remaining members of Team JNPR. "PYRRHA! Pyrrha, that thing's going to break in! You've gotta move!" He screamed at the girl.

Jaune, Ren, and Nora look up and see the force field flash as the Nevermore rises back up before diving back in. Wasting no time, the leader of Team JNPR jumps from the stands into the arena.