Chapter 16: Setting Out

3rd POV

A night had passed since the Beacon Academy Dance, leading to a rather serene morning. The halls were pleasantly quiet, dorms were lively, and, all around, the academy was in high spirits, mostly.

Onwards and Valorous put together their rucksacks, Courageous finished brushing her damp hair, and Hastings slipped on a pair of white stockings. The four escorts had been woken up by the departure of the capital ships and left to their own devices until they returned.

'A routine meeting.' Is what Oklahoma told the four before leaving with Defiance.

This did not stir the escorts. In fact, they all appeared to be rather hopeful and excited for the rest of the day. Who would fault them? They have a chance to leave their war behind for their new lives, something their humanity could only dream of.

"Did you grab zhe extra mags from zhe anchorage?" Onwards asked as he slipped several red shotgun shells into one of the many pockets on the bag.

The boy was met with an immediate response. "Bah, I don't need 'em. I've got my auxiliaries if the Grimm become an actual issue."

Onwards frowned at his carelessness. "You need to start caring more about your safety, Valor." He began to lecture only to be met with an eyeroll. "If you run out of ammo during a fight, I vill not be able to resupply you."

The girl brushing her hair quietly chuckled from her position on her shared bed. "Oh, who knows... the Grimm have been somewhat agressive recently." She shrugged.

Suddenly, a series of small scratches came from the entry door.

"I've got it." Hastings stood up while gesturing the female frigate to sit back down. She briskly walked toward the door and put an ear against it, hearing little pants.

The girl curiously opened the door to find no one nearby. She poked her head into the hall, searching up and down the corridor, only to find nothing. Right before she was about to close the door, a small bark was heard at her feet.

Hastings looked down with a befuddled look and muttered. "What is the dog doing?" She bent down and scooped it up into her arms. "Mine now."

As the destroyer walked back into her dorm, she was greeted by a confused look from Courageous. "Whatcha got there?" She asked while putting her hair into her usual ponytail.

"A doggy." Hastings replied before sneezing.

"Did you forget half the people in this room are allergic to dogs?" The frigate asked with an eyeroll.

"I'll manage." Hastings shrugged before closing the door with her foot. "Besides, Okie or Defi aren't gonna be here for a bit, so why not have some extra company."

Valorous turned around at the sound of a bark, and his eyes lit up. "No way! A corgi?" He almost broke away from the screen, were it not for a sudden realization. "Wait, hold on. I need my Blitz deck!" He gasped before frantically searching through his bag.

The British destroyer shook her head with a chuckle and offered the dog to the French frigate.

"Want him?"

"Sure."

The exchange was made as the Spainard let out a victorious cheer as he held up the deck to the German.

"Do we even know whose this is?" Courageous asked while petting the dog. "If not..."

Hastings cleared her throat and spoke confidently. "I claim this corgi as ours and a loyal member of our group!" She praised before petting the dog. "A-choo!"