Chapter 28: Small Steps, Giant Leap

3rd POV (do I still need to do this?)

It had been an eventful day for Team RNJR, though certainly a negative one. After their discovery of the ruined village of Shion, they quickly withdrew from the town and continued past it. They would walk until the sun set, finding a suitable clearing to settle in.

Now, with their shattered satellite hanging above them, the group was fast asleep. Half of them, at least.

Ruby, a mournful look etched on her face, sat cross-legged as she tweaked with the last thing given to her by her deceased friends. For a moment, her eyes lit up as the screen flickered for a moment until the hope in her eyes faded alongside the screen. She stared at her reflection in the black screen before sighing.

"Why...?" She contemplated to herself before holding up the earpiece in her other hand. "Why won't anything work?" She collapsed onto her sleeping bag with a pained expression.

"Jaune."

Ruby perked up, listening for a voice as she scanned her surroundings. Around her, Nora and Ren both quietly slept nearby while Proclamation found herself fascinated with the night-time sky, ignoring an empty sleeping bag nearby.

"Jaune."

She stood up and followed the direction the noise came from. Through the trees beyond Jaune's sleeping bag, a spartan's voice can still be heard, but it was muffled.

"Alright, Jaune, just like we practiced. Follow these instructions." Pyrrha explained carefully.

Two of the words are louder and echo, almost like a dream, making it sound like the Fallen Maiden is saying 'Follow me'.

The red reaper continued toward the voice as she took a moment to play with one of the wisps in front of her as she looked around, uncertain. Moving forward, she spots something and her mouth falls open. Gazing with concern, Ruby moves next to a tree and watches from a safe distance.

A slight distance in front of Ruby, but facing away, Jaune draws his sword. He poses with it and the shield before dropping his shoulders and turning to his right. His scroll is set up on a stump as a screen portrayed an old friend.

"Shield up."

Jaune lifts his shield so that only his eyes up are not protected.

"Keep your grip tight." Pyrrha added on.

He clenched his sword and shield, calming his breathing.

"Don't forget to keep your front foot forward." Pyrrha reminded him, though he didn't really need it. "Ready? Go."

Jaune steps forward with the sword, cutting at the air and making a fighting cry.

"Again!"

Jaune moves forward with his other foot, again slashing the air and releasing another battle cry.

"And again!" Pyrrha repeated.

He spins in a circle, putting a lot of feeling and effort into his next cry and slash. It costed him a bit, and he started to pant.

"I know this can be frustrating..." Pyrrha trailed off as she caught the knights attention. "...and it can feel like so much effort to progress such a small amount, but I want you to know that I'm proud of you. I've never met someone so determined to better themselves. You've grown so much since we started training." The green lights of the once tall and formidable Beacon Tower, the place where she would later 'die', vibrantly glow behind her. "And I know this is just the beginning." She turned her head, struggling to speak. "Jaune, I-I..." She trailed off as she soon found the resolve she needed. "I want you to know that I'm just happy to be a part of your life. I'll always be here for you, Jaune."