Chapter 21: Strengthened Bonds

3rd POV

With anxiety running at an all-time high, the UNSC had to be cautious and enigmatic if they ever planned on defending their newfound home from the alien specter that looms over Remnant and her beloved inhabitants.

As of now, the entirety of both the Navy and the Marine Corps would be stationed at the only significant orbital UNSC installation, bar a new satellite network. Battle Group Phoenix, in conjunction with the initial plans for some downtime today, would receive a rather pleasant surprise from their de-facto leader.

Every warship currently working with or in service for the UNSC is accounted for, aside from their leader and the heavy destroyer, thereby making the dispersal of information significantly easier. Everyone sat or stood in what could be described as a conference room, where a long table in the center took up most of the provided space, a large screen that hung from the wall furthest from the door, the chairs could be considered lavish enough to be the seats of very important people, and the atmosphere was warm and inviting, yet still fatigued.

After a yawn, Courageous arched her back against the chair and stretched. "Hngh~ Too early..."

As a collective group, the human warships were wearing their pajamas still as it seemed that most of them had just woken up. A still sleeping Onwards found his weary head resting against Perth's shoulder as a pillow, who in turn tiredly pet him. Hastings leaned forward as if she was the only well-rested individual, which earned her a confused look from Oklahoma, who had his long hair down for once. Valorous was face-down, knocked out cold, which did provide some amusement this early morning through his quiet snores and sleep talking.

Adamant and Euology simply made small talk with each other in an attempt to keep the other awake while Defiance leaned against a wall with his eyes closed. The reason behind a missing Righteous was the mere fact he hated being awoken from his sleep and, well, try all you want, a Hunter is not fitting through that door.

"What's the hold up?" Perth asked with a drowsy look. "Dad said four, right?"

Hastings turned to her little brother and gently smiled. "He did mention he'd pronably be running a bit late." She reminded him. "Besides, it's not like we'll be doing anything today."

"Anything important..." Oklahoma grumbled, moving several long locks of his raven-colored hair out of his face. "Coco's taking me and Courage shopping... again." He sighed. "She said she wanted to do something fun before her match today."

The female frigate slumped forward with a look of defeat. "Don't remind me..."

"What about you?" The light carrier asked the lead destroyer. "Is Nep taking you out or anything?"

Hastings, with a noticeable blush, twiddled her fingers while speaking. "Y-yeah... he wanted to take me to this new food place he found with Sun and Blake. We planned it over the phone."

"Ooh, sounds fun!" Perth chimed in with intrigue while the youngest destroyer sat up straight. "What kind of place is it-"

"Vhere exactly is he taking you?" Onwards asked with the most rigid posture. "Vhen vill you be back? Do you need-"

"Oi, calm down, mate." Perth flicked his nose. "If he tried anything, he'd get his ass beat." He reminded the boy with a confident look.

With a short giggle, Hastings would put her little brothers at ease. "Anyways, you two have any plans today?"

The Aussie boldly sat up with a smirk. "I've got a date with Yang this afternoon. Said she'd show me around Vale."

"Ugh, why do my siblings choose the worst partners..." Courageous slumped forward and let her head hit the table. "First off, you've got a woman who loves to play dress-up with clothes that are far too expensive for their own good, second is a pervert that very clearly ogles his girl every minute, third is an obsessive cutting board that hates when her man even stands near someone else, and now there's a meat headed idiot that can only think with her fists..." She rambled on with a defeated tone. "Aside from Ruby and Velvet, the others are awful..." She groaned loud enough to wake the other frigate.