Chapter 27: Dawn

3rd POV

Timeskip

To many, it would have seemed like the age of the UNSC had come to a bitter end. Their ships had been wrecked and lay in ruin. Their Marines were beyond exhausted, and it just seemed so bleak at the time.

Oh, how wrong they were.

A month or so would slowly creep by as the Navy issued repairs and, alongside Marines, stepped back into the city. The full dedication of the stellar regime would be instrumental in the reconstruction of the ruined urban area. Unfortunately, they arrived shortly after a handful of leaving sea faring ships were set for Mistral, but figured the ships wouldn't be much of an issue.

With the aid of a fleet of Pelicans, the authorities in Vale would soon find their city, in essence, under occupation as the dropships, alongside several repair drones, rebuilt the city with haste. Marines patrolled the particularly damaged streets, searching for the White Fang remnants and any Grimm that managed to hide away. Longswords constantly patrolled the skies with a never ceasing vigil over the city.

Regardless of your view on the situation, the UNSC was here to stay, deciding the city would serve as their home base.

Now, two familiar frigates would be joined by a new face as they walked down a sidewalk along one of the streets successfully rebuilt.

"A bit cold today, huh?" Courageous asked her brother with a smile. During the months in space, she had undergone significant repairs and a couple of changes, specifically their newly installed dress code. Now, she wore a plain gray longsleeved shirt and a pair of black jeans with a pair of combat boots to accompany them. The only familiar piece was her collar. "Well, I guess that's what happens during January. Still a bit cold but warming up." She shrugged and looked toward him, receiving no response.

"Hm? Oh, yeah. It is kind of chilly." Valorous half-heartedly replied, a distant look on his face. He wore the exact same outfit as his sister with the addition of orange gloves to conceal his hands.

A gentle hand would be placed on his shoulder. "Is it the girl?" From behind him, a bandage headed UNSC Daring offered a comforting look.

The Spainard looked down and slightly nodded. "Mhm."

"I see." The newly reborn frigate nodded in understanding. "Well, I'm no expert, but I'd reckon she's okay." He turned to the other frigate. "She made it out, right?"

"Pretty sure." Courageous confirmed. "Everyone in the courtyard was safely evacuated from what the old man said."

Daring turned to the despondent frigate. "See? She's probably at home recovering safely." He reasoned.

Valorous stared down at his palms, flexing his fingers before sighing. "I... I guess you're right." He looked back up with a smile.

"There's that smile!" Courageous slugged his shoulder. "Oh! Dari, there's this old dust shop we used to go to up ahead!" She began to drag the two boys behind her. "You can finally get a good view of Dust!"

"Dust? That weird magic stuff?" The boy asked after he cocked his head. "Is it... snortable?"

Valorous facepalmed and shook his head. "Christ, man!" He looked back to the boy, appalled. "No! Of course not!"

"Calm down, bro." Daring chuckled. "I was just joking."

After a snicker from the French frigate, the trio continued to walk down the sidewalk, passing by several strangers as they did so. The people of Vale had grown accustomed to the newcomers, remembering their deeds in the earlier conflict. However, a notable portion of the population did not agree with the new rules put in place by the UNSC.