Chapter 47: The Last Kingdom

3rd POV

A Pelican would begin to descend into the atmosphere, pointing its nose at an angle toward the ground and powering off its main cannon. It would shake for a moment as it entered before it would eventually subside.

Within this craft, a team of four Marines would converse about some unheard topic, laughing and joking around as they put their helmets on and adjusted their equipment.

Two frigates would find themselves manually operating the Pelican from its cockpit, a Spanish man in the pilot's seat and a French woman in the copilot's. Both of these frigates would be suited up the standard frigate uniform, which consisted of an ODST BDU with the removal of the standard rucksack.

"You have to give it to those mutts." Courageous whistled with wide eyes. "They know their way around anti-grav tech." She looked at the floating city with a mixture of awe and disbelief, as if she didn't think this kingdom was capable of the engineering feat.

The floating metropolis sat on an island just above the cloud layer. Far beneath this capital city was another city by the name of Mantle, which was obviously overshadowed by the immense structure far above it.

On the floating city, towers, skyscrapers, and the rest of the buildings tended to follow a generally blue color scheme. These buildings surrounded a large hill on which the great Atlas Academy resided, leading around the back of it and toward a collection of buildings perched on another hill.

To sum it up, this city looked out of place to be on Remnant.

Valorous rolled his eyes and placed a hand on the side of his helmet. "Resolute? Spring? Any word on our guys?"

"Affirmative." Resolute answered, earning a groan from his cheerful counterpart. "We have located their bio-signatures at this landing pad at Atlas Academy."

"Anyways..." Spring would side-eye her counterpart, in the digital space they found themselves in. "I managed to get clearance from their air control, so I wouldn't flinch at our new friends."

Looking to her left and then her right, Courageous would watch a pair of Manta Gunships form up on the Pelican, escorting them to their destination. She would glare at these new aircraft and make rude gestures from the safety behind their tinted windows.

"Let's not, sis." Valorous quietly chuckled. "Remember, we have to be professional."

"Aw, but they can't even see me." Courageous groaned as she lowered her hand and her middle finger. "Ugh, today had been stressful! I could go for a break once we land. Those Covies scared the fuck out of me." She leaned back and sighed.

The man in front would nod his head in agreement. "I... I trust Defi, but..."

"You don't trust his brother and the other one." She would finish his sentence before sitting back up. "Me too, but Defi never let us down or lied to us." She reached over and began to tamper with her copilot's terminal. "You mind?"

"Nah. Go for it."

After a moment of silence, the soothing sound of music from another world filled the cockpit. The soft sounds of a guitar would play for a moment before the voice of a man long-dead, but a magnificent effect on music.

"Always loved Sinatra." He mumbled with a smile. "Liked this cover he did too."

"The Girl From Ipanema? Yeah, it's nice." She leaned back and let her brother do all the work.

The two would silently enjoy the music as they inched closer to the landing pad. After a couple more minutes of careful, slow descent, the Pelican would softly rock as it turned around to land with its door facing the academy.