Chapter 32: Unto Mistral

3rd POV

The group on Anima finally arrived at the city of Mistral, after months of a terrible trek and life-changing decisions. Now, Qrow, the seasoned huntsman he is, is currently playing tour guide for the teens and their monitor while Defiance took refuge in the house they'd be staying at.

"The city of Mistral..." Qrow trails off as he leads the students through a stone tunnel that is illuminated by translucent lanterns.

"Ugh! It's about time!" Nora groaned out from behind him. "Whose idea was it to walk again?"

"Well, we did face many obstacles. Broken airships, destroyed settlements..." Ren reasoned with his childhood friend.

"Oh, and, you know, all those people, aliens, and monsters that tried to murder us." Jaune joined in.

"Pfft, we were fine." Ruby cheerfully said. "Only one guy and one alien tried to kill us."

"So, how much farther to Haven Academy?" Proclamation asked the huntsman. As expected, seeing such an alien device in public raised some eyebrows from the locals, but it wasn't like they were gonna do anything about it.

"Almost there. But I figured I'd take you kids on the scenic route." Qrow responded with a smirk.

The group approached a pair of large, wooden double doors, which Qrow opened, flooding the tunnel with sunlight. Ruby runs out onto a massive platform that doubles as an elevator, stopping at the railing to gaze out over the city in wide-eyed awe.

"Wow!" She exclaimed from the safety of the railing.

The others join her to take in the view of buildings and stone stairways perched on mountains. It was truly a site to behold when such a clear view of the city was available.

"This... is... awesome!" She squealed out in awe.

"It's certainly something." Qrow joined his niece and leaned against the railing.

Ruby looked down into the busy city and noticed a weapon kiosk. "Oh my gosh, look at all the weapons!"

"Vendors here'll sell you just about anything... whether they should or not." Qrow said as two men did some 'dealing' in an alleyway, and a small cloaked figure swiftly made its way through a crowd.

"They really made the most out of these mountains." Jaune said in awe.

"Every inch. Stay away from the lower levels. The higher up you go, the nicer it gets." The huntsman mused.

"And we are going up!" Nora exclaimed as she pointed upward towards the beautiful academy.

Timeskip

RNJR, Proclamation, and Qrow enter the campus grounds of Haven Academy, which is strangly devoid of any other people as both students and professors were nowhere to be seen. Not noticing this, they stop in a courtyard, where Ruby smiles and wipes a tear from her eye. Jaune places a hand on her shoulder, and she sighs.

"We made it." Ruby happily said.

Qrow stops behind them, and while they continue on their way, he took a moment to glance around and lets out a sigh.

"Hello?" Ruby called out to the seemingly empty academy.

Inside a hallway, RNJR is following Qrow, and she calls out once again, louder this time.

"Hello!?"

"Maybe try louder?" Proclamation asked just as the grenadier opened her mouth.

"There doesn't seem to be anyone here." Ren summerized as he glanced around.