Chapter 35: Death or Dishonor

3rd POV

SLIPSPACE RUPTURE DETECTED

The heavens far beyond Mistral would receive several unwelcomed guests from both sides. The Covenant's navy began to jump out of slipspace portals directly opposite of the UNSC and Separatist's formation.

As soon as the enemy arrived, most of the Alliance's navy initiated their rigging and rushed to positions. Hastings, standing as the sole human destroyer within the ranks, frantically adjusted herself as fresh commands came in.

"ALL UNITS: FORM A DEFENSIVE CLUSTER ON ME!" Oklahoma shouted as everyone turned their bodies and aimed their weapons. "DEPLOY ALL STRIKE CRAFT, NOW!" His hangers would open as countless aircraft darted out of the warship, most being Pelicans bound for the city far below them.

As he spoke, Hastings couldn't help but notice three friendly pings appear on her radar from below them. She briefly looked below her to watch a heavy cruiser and his two frigates ascend from the Earth-like planet beneath them.

"On station!" Manitoba broke into the communications as he and his frigates rushed to join the cluster.

Daring, with a frantic tone, quickly asked about a situation planetside. "O-Okie! I've been getting reports on a bunch of Faunus entering the city-"

"A company is already directing them away from the battlefield and toward our firebase on the ground." Oklahoma cut him off as several of his missile pods along his starboard side opened up. "I've updated my Helljumper's list of chores today. Oh, and they have permission to open fire-"

The moment he finished his sentence, purple streaks of light streaked across the vast battlefield and collided with the somewhat reliable energy shielding on the UNSC Oklahoma.

Hastings momentarily braced herself, letting her shielding take the damage as her leader did the same. Once she lowered her arms after the impacts, she watched several swarms of various strike craft pour out of the assault carrier, some bound for the planet and the rest already rushing to contest the tide of battle.

As her auxiliaries tore apart a Seraph, a pair of Sabers shot past her to meet the other craft head on. Taking on a determined expression, she charged up her MAC as Oklahoma ordered a concentrated salvo on the Assault Carrier.

______________________________________

Even before the banners of a new war began to rise, the city of Mistral was still in a tense place. Especially with the public sightings of Covenant movement and resources in the lower portions of the city and the arrival of UNSC Marines in broad daylight.

But now? Now, the alarm bells were being rung throughout the city as both sides received orders to begin their respective operations. However, these quiet fights and isolated skirmishes would appear in the lower levels while the upper portions like the academy still lay silent.

All of that would soon change as a rather large group walked down the main plaza and around the fountain, their sights set on the large entrance to Haven's main hall.

Qrow and led the large group of varied backgrounds, Oscar, Courageous, and Proclamation both close behind him. In the center was everyone else that had come along, so RW(B)Y, JN(P)R, and the remaining warships while Defiance covered the flank from the safety of his active camouflage.

For a moment, as they rounded the fountain and everyone else continued up the steps of the academy, Ruby paused and took a second to stare into the clear, stary night sky. Her eyes then began to stray toward a rather ominous looking cluster of clouds that slowly drifted toward the city. Perhaps it was rain, or just a cloudy night in the future.