Chapter 48: United And Ready

3rd POV

Across most of Remnant, the United Nations Space Command, the otherworldly institution and current backbone of the new United Nations of Remnant, deployed to every city within under their dominion. The kingdoms of old had been brought into the fold of the UNSC, spanning the entire continents of Saunus and Anima with an established presence on islands like Menagerie.

All that was left was the formidable Dragon Continent, which had fallen under Covenant control, and Solitas, home of the Kingdom of Atlas.

The former had been the sight of skirmishes in the air along the sea separating it and Saunus, as well as pitched incursions onto various islands between the two, most resulting in UNSC victories thanks to the orbital support and familiar territory. Strangely, the Covenant often attacked without the support of warships, only throwing a handful of troops, often underequipped Sangheili and Unggoy forces without any real direction, at the dug-in defenders.

Regardless, the issue of security had become minimal, with the UNSC's Army, Marine Corps, and Navy managing to hold their own, win the skirmishes with ease, and reduce the once widespread Grimm infestations into isolated pockets deep in the mainland.

Take Vale, for example, the place where the Eagle first touched down.

Walking down the main alley at the very academy that started it all, Eos and Risorgimento would be greeted by several passing students while under the dark night sky. Both of these women would dawn their respective ODST BDUs with their chestpieces being painted a dim yellow, as with their helmets.

"Hello, Ma'am!" One such student would wave at the lady. "Anything you need help with, ma'am?" This student was a woman with pale skin and long turquoise hair.

"No." Eos answered as she continued past the girl. "All of you should be getting a good night's rest for your classes." She waved her off.

"Yes, ma'am!" Was one of the common responses she received.

The girl and the group would quickly nod before they continued her way toward the academy.

Risorgimento would look over her shoulder once they reached the rebuilt statue. "She seemed... nice?" She said with a fading Italian accent as she looked up to her motherly figure.

"Mhm. The people here actually treat us like people, Riso." The Scottish woman replied, taking the time to look into the sky. "Even if we did march into their city and claim it."

From where they stood, Beacon Academy had been one of the few structures in Vale that had been left as it was before the UNSC's arrival. Surrounding the academy was a new, gorgeous skyline with towers that scraped the sky serving as the most prominent buildings and futuristic architecture that had paved over the old city of Vale, launching it into a new age. This wasn't the same city as before, but one that looked more like the sprawling Martian urban centers of Kenosha City, Shoreline, or Gdynia, a farcry from the Vale from two years ago.

As it stands, Vale was the most advanced city on Remnant, without debate. The concrete jungle that the city became, accompanied by the dense air traffic that was overlooked by the colossal UNSC Light of Eos that loomed above the city, were all a part of a lengthy list that proved this.

Snapping out of a trance, Risorgimento would be tapped by her motherly figure. "Huh?"

"Doesn't it make you a little sad?" Eos and the girl continued to walk down the main alley, the former pointing directly up. "These people will probably never see a starry sky from Vale ever again."

"What? Where's this coming from, Mama?" The Italian girl raised an eyebrow as she reached for her mother's hand. "Is it what Ms. Goodwitch told you?"

Eos shook her head. "No, dear. Headmaster Goodwitch and I merely got to know each other." She looked up at one of the towers that was among the most prevalent in the sky. "I was just wondering if you think we're doing the right thing."