Chapter 13

https://x.com/mehhh0247/status/1734114541372318134?s=46&t=fypjy4s3erhgGxME54qE1Q

Go and check out the edit i uploaded on twiiter/X before starting the chapter if you wanna get the proper feels of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Murtasim awoke to a light beeping sounds of the medical machinery, the acrid scent of antiseptics permeating the air. The sterile, fluorescent lighting flashed in his eyes, forcing his pupils to dilate against the intrusion. As he surveyed his surroundings, the harsh reality set in — he was confined to a hospital bed, needles discreetly piercing his arms. His head throbbed beneath the bandages wrapped around it, an enigma shrouding his senses.

His mother sat beside him, engrossed in prayer beads, the rhythmic whispers of supplication filling the room. On the other side, his father engaged in a hushed conversation with Farukh, a blend of concern and worry etched across their faces.

"Maa," Murtasim uttered weakly, attempting to rise but succumbing to the oppressive weight of exhaustion. His mother's eyes, a blend of worry and joy, met his gaze.

"Murtasim, Shahnawaz, Murtasim has woken up!" she exclaimed, her joy echoing through the sterile corridors. Farukh hurriedly left to summon the doctors while Murtasim's father approached him.

"How are you, beta?" his father inquired gently, concern etched in the lines on his forehead. Murtasim, grappling with the foggy recesses of his memory, replied, "My head aches, and my body feels drained. I can't recall much. I was in the car with Mahi, and..."

The revelation hit him like a freight train. Memories of a heated argument, the exchange of hurtful words, and the sudden, catastrophic collision with a truck flooded back.

"Where's Mahi? Is she okay? Where is she?" Murtasim's voice trembled with anxiety, his attempts to rise met with the cruel grip of weakness. His father's reassuring presence sought to anchor him.

"Calm down, Murtasim. Let the doctors check on you first," his father advised, his mother's silent tears attesting to the gravity of the situation.

Shortly thereafter, the medical team arrived, led by a seasoned doctor with an air of both authority and empathy. Dr. Rahman, as his nameplate indicated, approached Murtasim with a measured solemnity.

"Mr. Khan, you've been through quite an ordeal. You were in a coma for a week due to the impact of the accident," Dr. Rahman explained, his eyes conveying both sympathy and professionalism. "But you're fortunate. You're on the path to recovery now. I'll just have to run a few more tests to confirm if everything is alright and then you'll be ready to get discharged."

As the doctor detailed the extent of the injuries and the healing process, Murtasim absorbed the information, his mind navigating through the labyrinth of emotions. The realization that he had emerged from a week-long slumber, oblivious to the world around him, added another layer to the complexity of his situation. If he had been out for one week, where was Mahi? Was she okay? Did she get any injuries? The thoughts crawling over Murtasim, making him feel restless and impatient. He had to see Mahi.

As the doctor left, Murtasim's urgency surged as the silence thickened. The unanswered question hung in the sterile air, casting a shadow over the room. "Where's Mahi? I have to see her. Is she okay?" he implored once more, the desperate cadence of his voice betraying the fear that gripped his heart.

A disquieting hush enveloped the room, and Murtasim's parents, avoiding eye contact, remained silent. The weight of their unspoken words began to gnaw at him, aggravating the frustration that simmered within.

"I'M ASKING YOU GUYS SOMETHING. WHERE IS MAHI?" His voice crescendoed, echoing through the clinical confines of the hospital room. The urgency in his tone matched the turmoil in his eyes as he sought answers, his vulnerability laid bare in the stark whiteness of the surroundings.

"Murtasim, the accident," his father began, his voice measured, "was severe. The impact was unimaginable, and you, too, were in critical condition. The doctors worked tirelessly to stabilize you, to bring you back to us."

As he spoke, the lines on his father's forehead deepened, carrying the weight of the traumatic events. He continued, recounting the harrowing details of Murtasim's own battle for survival. "You were in a coma for a week. It was touch and go, but the medical team here did everything in their power to pull you through. It's a miracle that you're here with us now."

Murtasim's mind grappled with the gravity of his own journey, the thin line between life and death that he had unknowingly traversed. The room seemed to constrict around him as the reality of his fragility sank in.

"And Mahi," his father hesitated, his gaze momentarily shifting away before returning to meet Murtasim's eyes, "she fought as well, but the injuries were too severe. Despite the efforts of the medical team, she couldn't make it. I'm sorry, son."

The weight of those words hung in the air, an oppressive silence settling over the room. Murtasim, absorbing the stark truth, felt the enormity of loss crash upon him like relentless waves. The echo of his own heartbeat seemed to synchronize with the rhythm of grief that permeated the space.

Denial clawed at Murtasim's soul, an instinctive rejection of a reality too painful to accept. "No! You're lying. What do you mean she didn't make it? How's that possible? We were together, and we had a fight, but then that doesn't mean that she'll leave me like this!" His voice cracked with desperation, the disbelief evident in every syllable.

"Murtasim, beta, please, you need to be strong," his father implored, his eyes reflecting both sorrow and a father's unwavering love. "I know it's hard to grasp, but Mahi is no longer with us. It's a tragedy we never saw coming, and we are all struggling to accept it. But losing control won't bring her back. We need to face this together."

"This isn't true. YOU'RE LYING. YOU'RE ALL LYING!" Murtasim's words, now sharp and accusing, cut through the somber stillness. His eyes, wide with a mixture of anguish and denial, pleaded for someone to shatter the cruel illusion that threatened to consume him.

"Take me to her. I know she's waiting for me. I need to see her. I NEED TO SEE HER NOW!" Murtasim's cries echoed through the sterile room, the intensity of his plea turning into a demand, as if sheer willpower could defy the irreversible.

Farukh, torn between empathy and the need for order, nodded solemnly, holding Murtasim back with his hands. "Alright, Murtasim. We'll go see her, but you have to calm down. It's not going to be easy."

But Murtasim's desperation eclipsed reason. With frenzied determination, he fought against the physical constraints, his hands trembling with an urgent need to break free from the tangible and intangible chains that bound him.

His mother, her own heart shattered by the unfolding tragedy, reached out to him, tears streaming down her face. "Murtasim, please. We'll go see her, but you have to take it easy."

But Murtasim, caught in the throes of grief and disbelief, couldn't heed her words. The room became a battlefield of emotions, his anguished cries colliding with the sterile whiteness of the hospital walls.

As Farukh moved to assist, Murtasim's anguish intensified. "She can't be gone. She's waiting for me. I know it. She can't leave me like this. She CAN'T!" And in the tumult of his own emotions, Murtasim's world collapsed once again, the sterile hospital room offering no solace, only the haunting echoes of a love lost and a soul shattered.

_______________________________