Chapter 16

Meerab had seamlessly settled into the intricate role of being a Khaani, understanding the weight and significance of her title. Managing the accounts had become a more straightforward task, thanks to Murtasim's guidance. Maa Begum, too, played a pivotal role in orienting Meerab towards the art of decision-making within the family. Yet, Meerab couldn't shake off the feeling that a shift in perspective was needed, given the they were living in the 21st century not the 18th.

There were moments when sparks flew between Meerab and Maa Begum, their differences surfacing like waves on a stormy sea. One such clash occurred when a middle-aged woman, wearied lines etched on her face, approached Meerab with a plea for guidance. "Khaani, my husband mistreats me. He doesn't contribute to the finances of the house and wasted all the money in gambling. What should I do?" she confided, her voice trembling with the weight of unspoken pain.

Meerab, her eyes reflecting empathy, gently advised, "No one deserves to endure mistreatment. Consider taking control of your life. Divorce might be the path to your liberation. You deserve a life free from the shackles of oppression."

Yet, before the woman could absorb Meerab's counsel, Maa Begum interjected, her countenance stern, "Marriage is a sacred bond. It comes with a duty to endure hardships and persevere. Divorce should not be an option. Try to talk to your husband first and settle things accordingly."

The stark divergence in their viewpoints left the woman caught in a whirlwind of conflicting advice. After a thoughtful pause, she inclined towards Maa Begum's perspective, a choice that irked Meerab.

The second scenario unfolded when a group of women, heads together in hushed conversation, sought advice on family planning. One woman, a mother of six, whispered, "Khaani, the burden of constant childbirth is overwhelming. But my husband does not understand that. What should I do?"

Meerab, recognizing the plea for relief in the woman's eyes, suggested, "Considering your circumstances, contraceptive methods could offer you some respite. It's essential to communicate with your husband about the challenges you face and explore options together."

However, as Meerab recommended a pragmatic solution, Maa Begum and a few others in the group exchanged uneasy glances. Maa Begum, her eyes widening with disapproval, quickly diverted the conversation to more socially accepted topics.

Later, in the comfort of their living room, Maa Begum expressed her concerns to Meerab, her voice tinged with reservation, "Discussing such matters openly is inappropriate. These are private affairs, not to be aired in public."

Meerab, fervent in her belief in the importance of education and open dialogue, argued, "These are real issues faced by women. It's crucial to break the taboo and provide information. Knowledge empowers individuals to make informed choices about their lives."

Maa Begum, however, remained steadfast in her conservative stance, dismissing Meerab's viewpoint, "There are certain things that should be kept within the confines of the home. Discussing family planning openly is against our cultural norms here."

The clash of perspectives lingered, casting a palpable tension that seemed to hang in the air, dividing the room between the progressive call for education and the entrenched walls of tradition. Meerab, fueled by a determination to bridge the gap, felt the frustration of witnessing the resistance to change. The weight of societal constraints loomed heavy, stifling the very discussions that could pave the way for positive transformation. However, Meerab was not to give in so easy.

With a steadfast resolve, Meerab recognized the uphill battle but refused to yield. Like a beacon amidst the storm, she saw the potential for growth and enlightenment through open dialogue. The constraints of tradition might be formidable, but Meerab knew that change often started with challenging the status quo.