Chapter 1: Nightmare

Int. Hospital – Night

The following scene is a flashback that takes place about 4 years ago. Makoto is sitting, upright, in a hospital bed, awake, staring straight in front of her, blankly. Sae is in the room with her, crying.

Sae Niijima: FUCK! It isn't fair! That bastard! DRIVING WHILE FUCKING INTOXICATED?! YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING! I ALWAYS THOUGHT HE WOULD DIE IN THE LINE OF DUTY BUT INSTEAD, HE DIED BY BEING AN IRRESPONSIBLE ASS!

Sae looks up at her sister, who's still staring in front of her, blankly.

Sae Niijima: Come on, Makoto. Snap out of it. I need you right now.

A doctor walks into the hospital room.

Sae Niijima: Have...you figured out what's wrong with her, yet?

The doctor looks at Makoto, sadly.

Doctor: Well, we've rung some tests but...unfortunately, it isn't good news. She is...aware, you could say. Although, her mind has completely shut down...basically...brain dead.

Sae Niijima: Brain dead?!

Doctor: We believe that it was from the head trauma that she suffered from the car accident. The damage was...fatal, to say that least. I'm surprised she even survived.

Sae glances at Makoto, who's still staring into the distance.

Sae Niijima: What...what are my options?

Doctor: O-options?

Sae becomes angry.

Sae Niijima: WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!

Sae tries to calm herself down.

Doctor: There isn't much that we can do for her, except keep her comfortable and stable. I...know this is going to be difficult for you, especially since you've already lost your father...

Sae Niijima yells, angrily.

Sae Niijima: I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT HIM! JUST TELL ME WHAT TO DO, TO HELP MAKOTO!

Doctor: Well, there's two choices. One is that we leave her like this...in a vegetative state...practically brain dead and hope...or pray that she regains consciousness, again.

Sae Niijima: And the other option?

Doctor: We...uh...allow the poor girl to...be at peace.

Sae Niijima: In other words, put her out of her fucking misery? SHE ISN'T A DOG!

Doctor: I-I know. It won't be painful, though. She'll just fall into a peaceful sleep, with you by her side and...

Sae Niijima: NO! THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER OPTION! SHE'LL...WAKE UP, AGAIN, RIGHT?! WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THAT?!

Doctor: In cases like this, it isn't too common. I'm so sorry. I know this is a big decision and I don't expect you to make it, now. I'll...give you some time.

The doctor leaves the hospital room. Sae looks at her sister, sadly. Sae grabs Makoto's shoulders and starts shaking her, trying to snap her out of her vegetative state.

Sae Niijima: Makoto, come on! Wake up! Please! PLEASE! I...don't want to be alone...I need you!

Sae stops shaking Makoto and takes her hand and cries into it. Sae speaks, her voice muffled.

Sae Niijima: Please, God, I beg of you...save my sister...I need her...I NEED HER!

Sae continues to cry into Makoto's hand. All of the sudden, Makoto's eyes flash bright yellow and then return to their normal red color. Makoto starts blinking and looks down at her sister, confused.