Chapter 25: Best Friend

Int. Arcade – Continuous

Eiko notices Makoto's worried expression and decides to change the topic.

Eiko Takao: A-anyways, how's that detective guy doing? The one, who has a thing for your sister?

Makoto Niijima: Oh, you mean Akechi? I...think he's doing okay but it's hard to tell, ya know? I mean...losing Hikari must have been so hard on him...and probably, still is. Something like that doesn't go away, quickly...or ever, for that matter.

Eiko Takao: Sounds like you're speaking from experience.

Makoto Niijima: Well, I'm no stranger to loss of loved ones, I suppose. I lost my mother when I was incredibly young and I was with my father when he died in that car crash. Even though, I don't have too many memories of my mother, I still miss her, every day and regret never getting the opportunity to know her better. As for my father...we were always so close...losing him...is something that hurts me every single day. I know it hurts Sae, too, even though, she doesn't show it.

Eiko Takao: I guess I'm lucky. I haven't lost anyone that I've cared about, before. Although, I will say, when you told me about what happened to you when you got kidnapped by that mob boss, I felt a feeling, deep in my stomach, that I never want to experience, again.

Makoto Niijima: Aw, what a caring friend.

Eiko Takao: Hey, don't make fun of me, haha. If something like that had happened to me, you would have felt that same horrible feeling your stomach as well.

Makoto Niijima: Yeah, definitely.

There's a brief silence between the girls, before Makoto remembers something that Eiko had mentioned to her, before.

Makoto Niijima: Hey, since it's summer and the two of us have some free time, why don't we do that double date thing, now?

Eiko Takao: D-double date?

Makoto Niijima: Yeah, you were all excited about it when you first told me about the idea. It seemed like you really wanted to do it and I felt bad about not being able to do it because I was so busy, at the time.

Makoto observes that Eiko looks a bit conflicted about the idea.

Makoto Niijima: What's wrong? Did you not want to do it, anymore?

Eiko Takao: O-oh, no, it's nothing like that! I-I'm just surprised is all that you want to actually do it.

Makoto Niijima: Well, you've met Akira plenty of times so I feel like it's only fair for me to see the guy, who's dating my best friend.

Makoto blushes, slightly, at what he just said, in embarrassment.

Eiko Takao: Best friend, huh?

Makoto Niijima: Oh, uh...I...that sort of just—

Eiko puts her hand on top of Makoto's and smiles, warmly, at her.

Eiko Takao: It's nothing to be embarrassed about. I mean, you're my best friend too, Makoto!

Makoto smiles back at Eiko in relief but notices something strange about Eiko's attire.

Makoto Niijima: I just realized that you're wearing long-sleeves...aren't you hot?

Eiko's hand leaves the top of Makoto's and she scratches the back of her neck, awkwardly.

Eiko Takao: Oh, I've just been getting cold, easily, lately, that's all. Anyways, we should discuss more important matters like where we're going to be having our double date!