Tuesday 30th January

I went into the office today and took a walk into town on my lunch break. I needed to send a gift to my auntie who lives in London and the fact the day was bright and shining added to the good feelings from getting a job done.

The post office line was frustratingly long and I stood there trying to stay positive and maintain a pretence of happiness.
By the time I got to the front of the line I had checked my watch at least 10 times and took a deep breath before I spoke.

I got the parcel sent fairly sharpish and dashed out the post office for the fresh air. I didn't bring lunch because I planned on getting something from the bakery, so I stuck to my plan and opened the door to the bakery. It was quiet.

I ordered a sandwich and a hot chocolate and only waited a few minutes for both to be ready and passed across the counter.

“Thank you.” I called, grabbing my items and turning to leave.

And crashed into a wall.

My hot chocolate cup burst open, spraying boiling liquid all over me and my sandwich fell to the ground.
"Oh my god. I’m so sorry." I said as I looked up to take in the person I had bumped into.

He was a tall guy, of average build, with ash blonde scruffy hair and pale blue eyes.

I scrambled to reach the counter and grabbed as many napkins as I could.

"It's ok." He said while shaking his arm to get the hot chocolate off and looking down at the patch seeping into his suit jacket.

"Can I pay for your drink? And dry cleaning of your suit." He glanced up at me and smiled before looking back down at his arm and giving it one final shake.

"Seriously!" I turned around and paid for his coffee and ordered myself another hot chocolate. The barista smiled sympathetically at me and passed some more napkins over the counter.

I turned back to the guy and found him holding my sandwich out to me. We both stepped to the side so other people could order.

I used the napkins to dab at the mark on his suit, trying to get as much chocolate out as possible before it goes for a professional clean.

"I'll give you my number and you can let me know the dry cleaning cost and I'll sort it. However, you want me to pay for it.”

"If you put your number in my phone, I will use it." His voice was husky and deep. Almost threatening.

"No empty offers!" I took his phone and put my number in, I put Alice (hot chocolate mess). “I'm Alice. And I'm sorry again.”

“Alfie.” He took his phone and then offered me his hand to shake. I was surprised by how large his hand was, it could have wrapped around my hand a second time.

When our drinks were called I let Alfie grab his first and he passed me mine slowly.

He gestured for me to walk ahead and said. “We should try to avoid another head-on collision.”

I laughed and pushed open the door stepping out into the sunshine. Then I realised I needed to get back.

“I have to get back to work. Text me the details and I'll pay.” I had already started to walk away so I didn't hear if he responded.

When I finally got home from work I felt exhausted. George had been acting weird all day at the office and texted me almost the exact moment I got to my car to see if I wanted to do dinner Friday.

I didn't respond until much later in the evening and I agreed but only to tell him I just want to be friends. I was thinking it anyway but with him blowing hot and cold all week, I'm certain.

My phone pinged again just as I sat down to have dinner and I expected it to be George.

It was Alfie.

‘I appreciate your offer to pay for dry cleaning, but I would prefer dinner. Desmond's at 8 on Saturday?’

I stared at my phone for ages before I fully absorbed what I was reading.

‘I'll try not to spill on you.’

‘It would be my honour.’ I read it in his husky voice and felt my cheeks flush.