Monday 1st April

Work today flew by. Before I knew it I was closing my laptop and packing my bag.

I got home and was hoovering when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

“James told me what happened. Are you ok?”

“I'm fine Scott. It was just what it was. We kissed knowing we won't see each other again. For at least a few months anyway.” I sat down on the edge of the sofa and swapped the phone to my right hand.

“Ok good. I think James was missing everyone more than he was letting on.”

“He seemed good to me. But we didn't take much I suppose…” I trailed off as I realised I didn't know how he was really. We ended well. And as friends. I considered messaging him to check in.

“I think he will be. I think he almost just needed to come back and check in on everyone to clear his head.”

We talked a little bit more and then I got back to the hoover before I took the boys out. We headed to the park. The clouds had turned black and I didn't want to be far away from home if the heavens opened on us mid walk.

The moment we got to the park I knew one of the boy's dog friend was already at the park. I looked around just as Waffle came crashing into the boys. I scrabbled to get the leads off the boys so they could chase Waffle as she dashed back onto the field.

I waved to Waffles mum as she slowly made her way round to me and I waited for her before we continued on round the park.

We wandered around together chatting while the dogs all played. It was only when the rain started to gently fall that we said our goodbyes and called the dogs for us to both rush home.

As I closed the door behind us there was an almighty crash of thunder and it was only the fact the boys were still on their leads that stopped them from running to hide.

“It's ok boys. It's ok.” I said calmly over and over as I quickly dried them off. The moment they were free they ran upstairs and when I padded after them I headed straight into the bedroom. They were under the bed as they always are in a storm.

I put some music on for them and hung my duvet over one side and a blanket over the other to make them feel more protected and headed downstairs to make dinner.

Chester emerged first. Slowly he tiptoed down the stairs, pausing at every strange sound. I turned the TV up slightly and put dinner out closer to the living room.

When Duke came down a little bit later I could tell he was powered by hunger as she crashed down at the bottom of the stairs before shaking himself off and heading straight for his dinner.

After the boys had eaten I decided we should just all head up to bed. I could hear the rain smashing against the window as I brushed my teeth and washed my face.
It made for very relaxing background noise to read to before going to sleep.