Wednesday 21st February

I woke up this morning, picked up my phone and smiled when I saw a message from James.

‘I hope you had a good night with the girls. I'll be round tomorrow after shift.’ 

‘You won't believe what happened.’ I typed out briefly about Penny trying to set me up and I said I probably wouldn't go. 

‘I can't wait to see you.’ was how I finished the huge text.

I got ready for work, Chester following me around like my shadow as I wandered back and forth. I gave both the boys their goodbye kiss on top of their heads and headed out. 

I'm going to an external meeting at a different office so I key up the address while the car is warming and the put my playlist on. 

I turn the music up a bit and start singing along to Morgan Wallen’s If I Know Me.

The office in Huntingdon is huge and has a really beautiful view of the river and I find myself staring out the window while everyone gets settled.

When I got into the car to leave the office I looked at my notifications and saw a response from James.

‘I actually think you should go. You never know… he might be the one.’ I stared at the text for such a long time. I just needed his tone, some context. Is he pissed? Is he upset because he's leaving? Does he mean it or is he just saying it because he's leaving?  

So many questions flew around my mind. I couldn't decide what to say back.

‘He won't be you.’ I send it because it's what I mean. But it's heavy. I'm flicking through my emails quickly when I get a text. 

I assumed it would be James. It's a number I don't know. 

‘Hey. Penny gave me your number. I'm Henry, I'm 29, an accountant, I enjoy hiking, rugby and cooking. And an interesting fact about me is that I was an extra in Greys Anatomy.’ 

I read the text again. I hesitated, still unsure if I should respond. But at this point, it's just introductions. 

‘Hey. I'm Alice, 27, I'm a environment officer with the Council and I enjoy walking with my 2 great danes, watching rugby and eating. An interesting fact about me is that I've watched all of Grey's Anatomy.’ 

I laughed to myself and hit send. 

I drive home and can see the boys watching me out the window as I approached the front door.

I fussed the boys after dropping my bags and got them ready for a walk. It's starting to still be light on these walks and I revelled in the little bit of light that shone on us as we walked.

My phone buzzed and when I pulled it out I saw another message from Henry. 

‘Would you like to meet for a drink or two on Friday? You owe me some facts about yourself…’ he had added a laughing crying emoji and a wink. I thought about what James had said earlier. I know he’s going out for drinks Friday night with the guys before he leaves Sunday…

‘Yes, that would be nice. I'm sure Penny has already told you too much!’ I sent it and slipped it back into my pocket.

As we were heading back in the direction of home the boys started pulling harder forward and as we rounded the bend I saw Charles and Percy toddling in the direction of home.

I turned off my podcast and took my headphones off as I approached Charles. Percy noticed us first and stopped, watching the boys approach. Charles looked back to check in Percy and glanced up and smiled.

“Hello Charles. Hello Percy.” I said smiling as I fell into step with them. 

“Hello dear. Duke, Chester. How are you?” He nodded at each of the boys and offered me his arm. We walked all the way home nattering away.

As we turned into our road Charles asked, “Would you like to pop in for a tea? I've been trying a new sponge flavour, chocolate and cherry.” 

“That sounds delicious. I would love to. Let me take the boys in and give them a treat and I'll be over.” Charles nodded and I opened my door. 

I walked straight into Charles’ house knowing he would have left it unlocked for me and I called out as I closed the door. 

“Is that police officer staying over again soon?” Charles remarked as place a tea and slice of cake in front of me. When I looked up at him he winked at me as turned to get his drink and cake from the kitchen.

When Charles sat down he looked at me, waiting for an answer. 

“Yes.” Charles grinned and then took a bite of cake. “But… he's actually moving to London at the weekend.” 

“That sucks.” he exclaimed and I chuckled quietly. “I have a grandson…” He looks at me up through his lashes before quickly glancing back at his plate. 

“He's 18!” Charles didn't say anything but he waved his hand at me, suggesting that shouldn't matter. We've had this conversation on multiple occasions since I moved in. 

When I finished my tea I bid Charles a goodnight and went back to the boys. They met me at the door and ran over to where the dog food is kept. 

As I stood up from feeding them my phone vibrated in my pocket. 

‘I’ll be over Friday night… and we won't leave the house until Sunday morning.’ 

I blushed at the text and smiled. 

I hope it's a promise.