Sunday 31st March

This morning the instant I woke up I was thrown back to being in Herrington Manor. I still couldn't believe it.

I text Abbie and Beth immediately.

‘HE’S RICH?!!’ 

‘Was the tour down memory lane too much?’ 

I feel bad that it made me feel weird but it did and I needed validation. Well I was hoping. 

‘I don't know. Maybe… but he's rich right? That's what you're saying?’

‘His family are rich. I don't know if he is or ever will be…’ 

I laughed and tossed my phone on my bed. I dragged myself up and padded downstairs with the boys for breakfast.

I put some bread into the toaster and watched out the window as the boys sniffed around the garden. The sky was full of clouds but the light was shining bright behind which gave me hope.

Once breakfast was devoured I was feeling lazy and for a long second I considered potatoing on the sofa. But I quickly shook my head and decided to head back upstairs to get ready for a long walk.

I grabbed my cap and the leads for the boys and we bound into the car. I drove us to the forest and watched the boys as they chased each other straight into the trees.

I took a deep breath of the fresh air and started power walking to catch up with Duke and Chester.

Just as I got back to the car my phone buzzed.

‘Hey, how are you?’

‘I’m okay, you?’ I shoot back.

‘Worried I've scared you off.’ 

I smiled and closed my eyes. 

‘I’m made of sterner stuff than that'.

I put my phone away and drove us home. I heard it beep and I smiled in anticipation of the response.

As I pulled up I saw Christian standing on my doorstep. He stepped back so I could let the boys into the house and I pulled the door close.

“I was here when I sent the first message.” He said, looking a little sheepish.

“Is it my reaction that has you feeling like this or did you know it was probably too soon?” 

He ran his hands over his face before looking at me.

“Both I think. My last girlfriend… well I waited for too long and she accused me of intentionally hiding who I was… I think I panicked and over-corrected.” 

“Do you wanna stay for dinner?” I asked, pushing the door open. He smiled and nodded and walked past me as I held the door for him.

We made carbonara together and then ate chatting about our childhood and university stories. He played tug of war with Duke almost consistently and did the washing up while I got ready for work.

He left and I went straight up to bed and grabbed my book. But I couldn't concentrate on reading. My mind was running with the possibilities of my life with Christian.