Wednesday 3rd April

I was so thankful to Liz for changing her plans and coming into the office that she arrived to a muffin on her desk next to a freshly made hot coffee.

She saw the offerings and looked me up and down.

“Mhmm.” She sat down and opened her laptop and started on the muffin.

“Ok. Tell me.” She swivels her chair to face me and she's already looking perkier.

“Well… it was all going well for a moment and then it just wasn't..” I took a deep breath, glanced around the office to see who would be eavesdropping and then told Liz everything.

“Ooh…” she was looking at me and clearly contemplating. “Alice. I think he's a jerk and even though he apologised to the waiter, he clearly has a problem.” She took a sip of her coffee and gave me a pointed look.

I sighed and nodded at her. She smiled proudly at herself and spun her chair around logging onto her computer.

As I packed up my work laptop at the end of the day Liz watched me with a calculating expression.

“What?” I put my hands on my hips.

“You're not going to break up with him are you?” She said, one eyebrow shooting up into her hairline.

“Well… it's not that simple…”

“I mean it is. You're just not letting it be simple.”

“I'm going to give him one more chance. What if he was under a lot of stress or he knew the waiter and something happened between them?” The words came out in a rush and I took a slow breath as Liz digested it.

Liz made a mhmm noise and I just shrugged and grabbed my bag.

“One chance Al. He gets one more chance.” Liz said slowly as I walked past her.

That evening as I was making dinner my phone buzzed on the kitchen counter.

‘What are you doing on Sunday? I have an idea.’

I licked the spoon I was holding and studied the text. Even if I had been planning on breaking up with him, this was intriguing.

‘Let me know what time, and I'm there.’

I settled myself into the sofa and I started flicking through Netflix. I needed something new to watch. I contemplated a few shows and then saw Vampire Diaries. And I started the first episode.

I looked at the time and realised I had watched 3 hours straight. I dragged myself up to bed and found Duke and Cheater already sprawled across the duvet. I shoved Duke over and climbed in, settling on the edge.