Volume 3 Chapter 10 - See You Again

Dawn arrived. I yawned and walked like a drunken man to the cafeteria.

Again, I'm awed by the large dining hall with many mystic embers floating high above. I just wish this was Hogwarts but nothing else other than self-service here.

At any rate, I found someone unusual waving her hand at me.

"Good morning, Alia. Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Good morning. Well, there is some commotion in the male dormitory so Anise went off to see it." Alia answered.

Eh? Did she not realize she's a girl? Is this Academy even allowing opposite sexes to enter different dormitories? I fear for my security and chastity now but that is just like Anise to be curious about interesting things reek of violence.

"What about Lily?"

"Hm... I think she went along with her new friends. Though I did hear she's getting along unexpectedly well in her class."

Ooh... that's very reassuring to know. I'm worried a girl not even fifteen years old who's not a noble be surrounded by nobles. Wonders may work but if something were to happen then I would snap their necks.

I picked my order and then settled down across Alia.

"How's you study, Alia?"

"Nothing special. The lessons are intriguing but sometimes I have to endure not to hit someone."

"Yeah... I know that feeling well."

"Well, me, Anise and Lily are commoners after all. It's something that happened daily as long as one is within Human Territory."

Right... aristocratic society, nobles, peasants, kings and knights etc. Since the vicinity is way too empty, some maids stayed close by to serve us too but...

"Err... excuse me but if it's alright with you, would you like to eat with us?"

"What? Oh, no that can't be allowed, Milady! We can't be so insolent to sit down when you are eating..."

No no. Food tastes better when eating together and I think something's wrong with these girls. They looked like they were older than me too. Why should I disrespect the elderly by eating in front of them?

"Leave it be, Charlotte. They have a family to worry about and their masters will not react well if they do misconduct."

"But... They deserve rewards for their hard works and--"

"You mustn't."

Alia's words silenced me. Wh-what's with this pressure...? Is this even Alia who liked to sit back and watch from behind...?

I stared at the Aqua Mage but she scoffed as if she ate something incredibly bitter.

"I'm sorry. I know your feeling but sometimes, there's just no helping it with something."

"...does that mean I have to treat these girls as servants rather than women because 'it can't be helped'?"

"No... but the walls have ears and eyes. If you care about them, then you should think of a way for both sides to be happy."

.......I turned over to the maids and they smiled bitterly at me.

"Making both sides happy... that's difficult..."

"Yes it is, but it's not impossible. Besides... Charlotte is a noble daughter right? It won't do well for those who prided their duties as servants to not serve you properly."

Urgh... I feel like I am being lectured again. I didn't think Alia would teach me a lesson and it made me curious.

"Alia... you're really knowledgeable. How can you think like that?" I asked.