Volume 4 Chapter 2 - I Have A Question!

-Luna's POV-

As I wrote and signed documents, the mystic ember flickered near my desk, helping me not to be troubled by the dark of the night. Although the adamantium walls absorbed and reflected the light of Solaris, the inside of the castle was nearly the same as the abyss.

Without a help, I would have gone lost and wandered in a Dungeon built specifically to torture prisoners too. Well, that is why I have my reliable secretary assisting me, but...

"...Maria. Why are the documents increasing in bulks?" I glared at the head maid.

"Well, it's about letters pertaining the alliance of all Territories against Daemonia." She answered with a courteous smile. "Mostly is about formalities and wishing our 'protection'."

...right. I almost forgot ever since I got myself the Throne. I laid my back against the chair and exasperated.

"...so it is. War is approaching."

That barbaric empire desired to conquer the continent. What's more, they had the power to support their arrogance and if compared with the shallowness of humans... well, they are already as low as vermin. Both sides were.

However, the threat is real. With the Neutral Sovereignty annexed by Daemonia and with their ultimatum expiring within four and a half years, many countries chose to build relations in order to raise their survivability.

"Then again, the choices are too few so this kind of issue will happen no matter what."

Some surrendered a part of their lands to the elves. Some hid their rulers in the South Territory. Some tried to entice the Merchant Republic Grissario. Some fought for wider grasp of resources. Some tried to take refugee in my kingdom.

I didn't hate boasting about what I have but if it turned to be a delicious bait for troubles, I wouldn't want to boast about it. The reason why is...

"What shall we do, your majesty?" Maria questioned.

Her gaze was full of inquisitiveness, and it was as if she's gauging me. Then again... that's probably why she was chosen as the head maid.

"She will be a useful piece in this game."

"Certainly. However... I do not believe she will work in our favor, your majesty."

Well now. That is true as well. She seemed to be a person who devoted herself in one task and she didn't seem like she knew how to lies even if it's for others. She's a very meaningless creature in this world where the strong devours the weak, and she's unsuitable to join in this farce.

"But elder brother is fond of people like her the most..." I heaved a sigh.

Assuming the worst outcome to happen...

"Well, as long as the Throne is in my possession, elder brother will never dare to turn his fangs on me." I raised a hand and smirked.

Not him. Not the others. And not even the gods could stop me. I looked up and chuckled as I visualized the lush tree which grew endlessly by absorbing the flesh and soul of the despaired ones. Towering above this filthy kingdom as a wretched symbol of 'justice'.

"Do whatever you want, elder brother. You will realize that there's no other place for you to belong other than below my feet. Sooner... or later."

-

-

-

-

-

-

"...I guess I did something irresponsible again..." I exhaled and swung a wooden sword.

In the dojo where I learned swordsmanship class from Ikki-sensei, after resting for no less than six hours, I tried to sort things out and I realized I had given out my approval too soon. Considering how the principal smirked and how he baited me...