Volume 3 Chapter 19 - Hopelessness

It was within a moment.

It was in an instance. After I blinked my eyes, the world seemed to distort and turning upside down. Just like that, the world was dyed with red as the figure of a person went crashing into the wall.

The ground shook. The air trembled. The strong wind forced me to squint yet I couldn't even forget what had happened.

I failed. I couldn't prevent it. I couldn't stop the nightmare from taking shape in reality.

"GRROOAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!"

As one monster clad in black miasma and 'hazes' I recognized well, my mind couldn't think of anything. There was nothing that entered my head. None except the bloodstained wall where that person was smashed into using the monster's gigantic fist.

I stared and stared. My eyes blankly gazing at the wall as something within me told me.

You failed. Now he's dead.

"Ah... Aaah..... no...! Nooooo....!!"

My heart beats furiously, my body shaking and my mind assaulted with the realization that I was powerless yet again. I couldn't help him. I couldn't save him... I... I....!!

"...Fei... Fei......!"

I rose from the ground yet I stumbled down. Intense pain stabbed my entire body and an uncontrollable heat seemed to burn every single cell of my body. It hurts. It's painful. It's so painful it was hard to breathe.

Despite the pains I extended my hand forward aimlessly. Tears blurred my vision and I spasmed as if my chest was about to burst open.

I couldn't understand it. Why is this happening? What did I do to deserve this? Am I so weak I'm not allowed to achieve anything? Why can't I do anything ? Am I not even allowed to have a peace of mind after facing failures for so many times?

I don't get it. I don't get it... I don't want this. I don't want this... just why--

"Grrh...." Suddenly there was a low growling sound.

I looked up and there it was. The monster which had transformed into a dreadful existence. Its figure standing around magic beasts and it growled as its dark, dull purple eyes stared at me.

A shiver ran down my back. My heart tightened as if wrenched and something told me to run. I couldn't breathe well. I couldn't keep my consciousness up in the face of such monster. However--what good is there for me to run?

I couldn't... help him. I couldn't prevent my despair from taking shapes. I failed... and now he's nowhere around.

Dead... I'm going to die...... as that thought flashed across my mind, I whispered.

"......then... let it end... already....."

My eyelids grew heavy. As my consciousness blurred and my vision darkened over time, I glimpsed the approaching waves of monsters.

...

......

.............

"--Harmonize."

*CRACKLE!* A gust of wind blew on me as the sound of thunder clap echoed. My vision went lighter and a different chill caused me to shudder. Suddenly I heard a thumping sound.

Both from my heart... and from something else.

"...Wha...t...?" I opened my eyes and there was light.

Bright, blinding light intense enough to burn my eyes had I not squinted them. Then I saw it.

A tower of light erupted and pierced through the ceiling. Boring through the Dungeon, it was a pillar which shone like a newborn star in the dark heaven above.