Volume 4 Chapter 5 - My Doubts Multiplied

I woke up with a shock.

The carriage braked quite strong I nearly flew off the chair. Then I heard Mr. Rudolph apologizing.

"My deepest apology! Your highness, we shall take a detour!"

...huh...? Why? I peeked out from the window and I saw a disturbing scene. We're traveling through a forest, not too thick but the trees were similar to pines. Tall and rigid. Bushes and wild grasses fenced the animal path and there were vines to veil the content of the forest, but ahead of us...

The road was blocked with fallen trees, and there were some unusual broken woods. Not to mention a trace of red dragged away into the bushes.

"Wait. Are they parts of a carriage?" I asked.

Don't tell me it's raided?! Once I thought of such thing, the bushes rustled and I saw a shadow of a person dashing out from it. Long flowing blonde hair with thin shades of green and cloaked with an expensive dress, slightly tattered at the ends. It was a girl with pointy ears.

Following after her was a boy with identical expensive clothing. Though having different color variation and motifs, the boy with honey brown hair and sharp eyes possessed a grim look and he brought out an ornamented sword.

"Curses! We're back here again!?" The boy shouted.

"Do something about it then!" The elven girl shouted then shrieked.

Ah, there are a group of bandits and... wait, what? Those green skinned fellows... goblins!? Humans and demi-humans are banding together!?

I raised my brows upon the sight but I soon realized the carriage turning over. This is bad... Mr. Rudolph is also panicking. Forget it! I'll do something about this!!

I kicked the carriage door open and launched out, taking my swords with me. My feet landed smoothly on the ground and I turned sharply before flying off toward the mixed up bunch of hostiles.

"M-Milady!?" Mr. Rudolph raised a yelp.

However, I have already arrived in the danger zone. One of the goblins widened their dull yellow eyes and several pointed their fingers at my running figure. But, I have already arrived in front of them and unleashed a wide slash.

"Khiikk!?" A goblin let out its death throe after I slashed its carotid.

As expected, Tyrfingg has sharpness in addition of its light weight. The sword was swung in succession and the goblins fell without any resistance. I raised my body and stared at the corpses, minding not the bandits or two nobles who are frozen stiff and I frowned.

"Collars...? Slaves...? Then you are all..."

I looked at the bandits. They were clothed with rag armors and there were no decency in their clothing. Worn out bandanas, dirty sleeveless tunic, belts made from dried animal skins cut roughly and there were collars as well as cuffs engraved with Runes strapped on their belts.

To be honest, they all have tanned skins and their bodies were leaning to muscular. Though saying goes that, they had creepy glares and their eyes showed darkness. A pit less darkness full of malice.

"...Slavers...!" I shouted in anger.

Posing an offensive stance, I roared as I struck a bandit at the shoulder with Tyrfingg. The bandit flew off the ground and I hammered him into a tree.

He gasped and air was expelled from his lungs. Both the shock and injury caused him to faint and I heard an angry howl from behind me.

"Watch out!" A voice shouted and when I turned, the bandit approaching me was slashed down by the noble boy.