Volume 4 Chapter 8 - I Encountered A Divine Beast!

I saw a thin gold line at the horizon. As the white mist began to clear up, I exhaled and saw the white breathe rising up my nose. It looks like things will get even colder soon.

Then I heard small groans from behind. There was Elliot staring blankly at Seina who's sleeping soundly on his chest. It's like inviting misunderstanding but Gram turned around only to flash a grin with a thumb up. The prince looked to me but I shrugged and covered my ears.

The prince did a face palm and slumped back. Looks like he already resigned to his fate huh? Shortly after, the carriage jumped several times with chaotic roars and screams. Also with lightnings flying randomly.

...

The carriage arrived in front of tall walls with a gate. This time, the gate is properly used as a gate so I was relieved. Hm... it's similar to Raumia's but the security is tighter. Maybe it's related to how the kingdom has no barrier to prevent outside threat.

Once we passed it, however... I saw a bustling scenery. No, bustling isn't even correct to describe it. Rows of uneven buildings not structured neatly were surrounding a street full of vendors. While there were uneven places which allowed dirty puddles to remain, people continued to walk around and living how ever they wanted.

I heard shouts of vendors promoting their products, I saw a group of people surrounding a street performance, I witnessed a person flying out of a bar with various laughter following after it.

Beastmen were scattered everywhere and I even saw some with bunny ears or fox ears but the majority possessed cat ears plus tails... if not looking like cats standing with two legs. Is that Nyanta-san over there?

Seriously, there are even some who possessed broad and burly figures. Looks like the feline beastmen have same similarity to humans in term of sizes and variations. In Magnis standard, of course.

"...It seems it is still crowded as ever." Elliot commented.

Well, I don't want to look at him as he received the infamous full-power slap at the cheek by the elven princess. It definitely looked funny so I refrained from taking a second glance at him. I have to maintain my dignity and humble facade as long as nobles are around.

Still, he's right. I wonder what should we do...? The place must be the expensive looking building with the largest structure right? It's at the other side of this street.

I heard a blowing horn and the crowds stopped moving before scurrying away as if receiving notice of A-class disaster. Like a sea parting into two, a cavalry unit riding something like huge black mounts appeared and approached us.

What the heck...? Are they owlbears? I stared at the mounted beasts then to the armored beastman with a sword sheathed behind his back. He must be the commander to have such oppressive aura, and he's being followed by other beastmen with... less better equipment.

Gram saluted and exclaimed.

"The honored guests have arrived safely!!"

"Hm. Good work, Scout Gramven. Return to your post later and write the full report. For now, the guests are to receive times for rest."

So we're going to get a place to rest? Oh, I hope there's decent bath...! I smiled and hoping for the best thing to do after traveling without decent preparations.

On the way, though. I felt a tug and I heard Gram whispering.

"Missy, you better brace yourself once we enter the palace."

"Huh? Why? Are we going to meet the king first?"

"The Emperor..." He corrected me. "Be careful of his temperament. He doesn't like Raumia the least bit."