The Diplomat

You opened the door to a warm and inviting tavern in Mondstadt. The musicians for the evening were just packing up their instruments as you made your way to the man with the red ponytail behind the clean, beautifully carved, wood bar.

"Sorry to get here so close to closing." You greeted him with his back to you.

Without turning to look at you, you watched him reach to his top shelf to pour a glass for you. "The hours don't apply to you, Miss L/n." He turned to hand you the glass. "You know that." He mused.

"Thank you, sir." You took a sip. "Oooh, this is wonderful... What is it? And why is it always so much better here than what you send me back with."

"This is another one of the properly good wines that we keep for ourselves domestically and out of the export market."

"Hmm. You'll ruin drinking wine anywhere but here for me, then?" You hummed with your lips still on the rim of your glass.

"I'm certainly endeavoring to."

You rolled your eyes. "Unfortunately, you're succeeding."

"Is this the Fontainian woman you don't shut up about?" A bard called from down the bar. "She doesn't look Fontainian..."

You smirked. "I'm not-" Your eyes widened at the sight of him. "Oh- my-" Barbatos??

He echoed your shock, and you watched him mouth "... you're alive?" with tears in his eyes.

You pouted and dashed down the bar to hug him, lifting him. "Did I just miss your performance?"

"I'll play for you anytime-" He hugged you tighter as his hands clawed into your black linen shirt.

Luc polished some glasses in the background of your reunion, assuming he'd be caught up eventually.

"Where the hell have you been?" He still wouldn't let go of you.

"Snezhnaya and Fontaine, mostly. I travel now for my work. I serve Lady Furina and Iudex Neuvillette as a diplomat."

"Emphasis on serving Iudex Neuvillette." Luc quipped from the bar.

You side eyed Luc as Venti's shock shifted to a slightly different variety. "You're... with Iudex Neuvillette?"

"I am." You said with a soft smile.

"Oh." He nodded before he brought a hand to his forehead and dragged it slowly down his stressed face. "Oh Archons, Y/n, what-"

"What?" You giggled. "He's a sweetheart, I promise. He just seems all big and scary and serious."

"Big and scary?" Luc smirked. "Serious, sure. Big and scary? No."

"No, no he is. Mr. Ragnvindr, I need a drink." Venti controlled his breathing.

"Mhmm. You gonna pay your tab anytime soon, Venti?" Luc razzed him. "May I take your luggage to your room for you, miss L/n?"

"I got it. Same room as last time?"

"Yes. You'll find some sweets for you to take back to Mama and the Melusines on your desk."

"Awww. Mama sent me with some treats for you, too." You called from the stairs.

"Love that woman." He smiled as he refilled your glass.

"I'll be sure to tell her!" You beamed as you stepped into your usual accommodations.

Venti chugged his next drink, indefinitely stressed.

----

"Is something troubling you, Lady Furina?" Neuvillette asked politely as she loitered in his office while you were away.