Morax (Pt 2)

Neuvillette tensed and dropped his head into his hand. He held the bridge of his nose. "The Geo Vishap that the visitors killed..." He guessed correctly.

You sat on the couch at his side, but facing him. Your legs were crossed as you held your mug of herbal tea in your lap. You nodded. "His essence was no longer foreign to this world. But he also was no longer one of the visitors."

"They never saw him as one of their own." Neuvillette sighed.

"No." You bowed your head. "To this day, I'm not sure he's fully accepted that."

"Was your entire envoy exchange of information just an excuse to buy time for the Sovereigns? So they could plan their defense against the inevitable attack?"

"Yes." You stated.

"Did you know that that was what had been asked of you?"

You sighed. "Yes."

"Did you agree with your orders?" He asked gently.

You looked away from him. "I trusted Leviathan. If they thought something was the right thing to do, I complied with their requests without question... But I was still young and naive and I did have hope that conflict could be avoided. After what was done to him, Morax did live with us for a while. We helped him adapt to his new- traits. Abilities. The visitors insisted that it must have been some adaptation Morax underwent from exposure to our environment, or something I did to him."

"They were moronic to lie to a telepath. How dare they try to blame you-"

"What were we going to do, Neuvi?" Your voice was defeated before you chuckled darkly. "They were playing with us. All of us. They knew they had us outmatched in strength, they were just waiting for an opportunity, and in the meantime, we were just some fascinating experiment to them. Could they strengthen their weak descendent by fusing his essence with a dragon? To them, there was no downside. They didn't fear the losses or pain that their curiosity caused."

"He never felt like he truly belonged anywhere..." Neuvillette said, saddened.

You were quiet for a moment. "Thousands of years later, I think Morax finally felt like he belonged in Liyue. I- He- Well. With my help, he actually had a very dear friendship with Azhdaha."

"How? Even though the dragons took him in, he still betrayed us for the chance at approval he never received from his people. How could Azhdaha-"

"Time is long, Neuvillette, and it dulls fury. At the time, Azhdaha saw that Morax had kept me safe for millennia. He kept a dragon as his advisor, and attempted to use our ideals in his rule, not the visitors'." Your breathing quickened, and your stomach churned, nauseated. "I would like to stop talking about this now..."

"Of course." Neuvillette took the mug from your hands to set it down for you. "Thank you for what you shared with me tonight." He laid back on the couch and you nestled yourself between him and the back cushions. He brought your hand up to kiss it.

You'd remembered something you didn't wish to share with Neuvillette right now. Something you hadn't thought about in a long time. Memories of Morax weighed heavily on your mind and body. Every so often, you'd believe that he cared about you once... but that feeling was fleeting each and every time it emerged...

-

You took a seat on the floor of Morax's new nest. It was certainly unique compared to the other nests for the other dragons, but you helped him find the perfect spot to carve out in the mountainside so that he could still see the stars. You lit his small fire for him as he moved one of the glowing crystals away from the small stone desk he crafted. "Are you done with your writing for the day?" You asked.