cabin in the woods.

Driving down the long road to the cabin that Seulgi had mentioned, Ryujin stole glances at Yeji, noticing the exhaustion etched on her face. Her eyes were heavy with fatigue, and Ryujin could see the weariness in her posture.

"You can rest. I'll wake you up when we get there," She spoke softly through the music.

Yeji didn't refuse the offer, simply nodding as she leaned her head against the door, arms crossed in front of her.

After the explosion, Ryujin's arm, which had been stuck out through the window, started to sting, the adrenaline from the earlier events beginning to wear off. She made a mental note to check on her arm once they reached the cabin.

As Ryujin rolled down the window, hoping the cool breeze might alleviate the burning sensation on her arm, she found little relief. The thought lingered: if she had been closer to the explosion, her injuries could have been far worse. It made her wonder about Yeji and life-or-death situations. Ryujin had experienced such moments before, like the encounter with the teenagers at the train station. But back then, she had felt a sense of control, confident in her ability to protect Yeji by redirecting danger toward herself.

Ryujin's jaw tightened. Yeji had become one of the few people she truly cared for, perhaps the only one she would willingly risk her life to protect. It wasn't solely because of her promise to Martin, to ensure the survival and safety of his only daughter at all costs. It was also because Ryujin harbored the same deep feelings in her chest for Yeji as she once did for Heejin. If not more.

The pain of losing Heejin was still raw for Ryujin, a wound that refused to heal. She couldn't shake the thought that she might have been able to prevent it. If only they hadn't argued, if she had accepted Heejin's offer to leave the group and fend for themselves. If Ryujin hadn't made the fateful decision to drive away, leaving Heejin behind with the rest of the group as they met their fiery end.

What if she made one of those decisions that could mean losing Yeji?

The car veered onto unmarked roads, its tyres crunching over dirt and scattered tree branches as they delved deeper into the woods. A jolt from a tree root woke Yeji from her slumber.

Yawning loudly, Yeji gradually opened her eyes. "Are we there yet?"

"I think we are," Ryujin mumbled, loosening her grip on the wheel. She hadn't realized how tense she had been throughout the drive.

As the vehicles ahead veered to the right to park, Ryujin's gaze fell upon the cabin Seulgi had mentioned. Tucked amidst the dense trees, its weathered wooden exterior bore patches of moss clinging to its rough surface, adding to its rustic charm. To the left of the cabin, a small garage caught Ryujin's attention, sparking her curiosity about what it might contain.

She pulled their car over beside Chaeryeong's and turned off the engine. Exhausted from everything that had transpired, Ryujin sank back into her seat and let out a heavy sigh, dropping her head to glance over at Yeji.

"I'll catch up in a second," she murmured, meeting Yeji's gaze as she opened the door and stepped outside.

"Okay, see you soon," Yeji responded with a faint smile before closing the door and joining the rest of the group.

Feeling a sharp sting in her arm, Ryujin lifted it to inspect the source of discomfort. Beneath the tattoos, the skin was reddening.

"Shit," Ryujin muttered, placing her other hand on the burning skin. It felt hot to the touch and painfully sensitive. Turning her forearm around, she noticed the bandaged healing bite mark on her wrist.

If she sought treatment for the burn, it would raise suspicion about her immunity, which she wanted to keep a secret. Worse yet, the group might mistake her for being infected and decide to expel her and Yeji. She couldn't afford to take that risk.