wait for me.

In the bathroom mirror, Yeji adjusted the dark navy blue beanie– the one Ryujin found for her– on her head. This was the first mission she would be embarking on without Ryujin by her side. But this was for her. She was risking her life for her.

Yeji tucked the stray hair that brushed against her cheeks behind her ears. Her skin was flushed with red, her sharp eyes swollen from the fearful tears she had shed for Ryujin. She could hear Ryujin's short, labored breaths coming from the next room. Each ragged inhale crushed her. Her tears threatened to spill, but she couldn't. She had to go.

The bedroom creaked open and it was her signal to head out. She took one last look into the mirror, preparing to see Ryujin in her fragile state once again.

"Fuck," Yeji whispered lowly, her voice barely audible over the sound of Ryujin's labored breathing.

The lieutenant wrung out a damp cloth into the bowl of water on the bedside table and gently wiped the younger woman's forehead, soothing away the sweat that had gathered there.

Seulgi glanced over her shoulder, observing Yeji as she slowly entered the bedroom. "Lia offered to go with you girls," she mentioned.

Yeji nodded, offering a faint smile. "I'm grateful," she replied softly, taking her place on the opposite side of the bed from Ryujin.

"We protect our own," Chaeryeong added, joining Yeji's side and placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "We are a family, aren't we?"

A genuine smile, small but sincere, graced Yeji's lips. Gratitude and warmth washed over her, momentarily easing the pain and sorrow that weighed heavily on her heart.

"It's time to go, do you have everything you need?"

Yeji nodded, her gaze lingering on Ryujin for a moment longer. Should this be the last time she would see her, she wanted it engraved in her mind as the last thing she saw.

But it won't be the last time, she made sure of it. Her fingers slowly reached out, brushing the strands of hair stuck on Ryujin's face behind her ear.

"Wait for me, Ryu," she whispered into her ear, her voice barely above a breath. With a final glance, she stepped back and followed Chaeryeong out of the room.

As she closed the door behind her and took her first couple of steps, she didn't want to leave Ryujin, feeling pulled back like a magnet. Her jaw clenched as she pushed against her instincts to run back to her. A hand rested on her upper back, grounding her.

"She will be okay," Chaeryeong said, her voice steady and reassuring. "We're going to that hospital and we will find everything we need, I'm sure of it."

Yeji nodded, trying to believe in those words. But deep down, she couldn't shake off the fear and uncertainty. If they didn't find what they needed, they would have to search for another hospital, prolonging Ryujin's suffering. She didn't want her to endure any more pain. But she also knew they had to try everything they could. Ryujin's life depended on it.

While they made their way to the front porch, Yeji felt a grip on her arm, stopping her in her tracks.

"I'm sorry for the way Yuna acted earlier," Chaeryeong muttered sincerely.

"You don't have to–"

"It's just that in the past, we trusted some people and they–"

"Chaeryeong," Yeji interrupted gently, rubbing the side of her arm, "You don't have to explain what happened earlier." She glanced out at the soldier closing the trunk of the car. "I know that she was scared, and that it's hard to trust people."