they all fucking failed her.

TW: gore, violence and children.

The lieutenant wrung out the cloth once again, the water soaking her hands. She looked down at the shivering figure lying in the bed beside her, her heart heavy with worry. Ryujin was one of the people she enjoyed spending time with, teaching, and conversing with. The damp cloth glided across the said girl's forehead, trying to bring down her fever.

She wished Ryujin had spoken up sooner, and trusted them enough to share her pain.

With gentle movements, she placed the cool cloth on Ryujin's head, her thumb smoothing out the creases between her brows. Ryujin was a fighter, she could see it in the determined lines of her face, even in her weakened state.

"Oh, Ryu..." Seulgi took Ryujin's trembling hands in hers, leaning in close to her ear, her voice barely a whisper but filled with encouragement. "Don't stop fighting, Ryujin," she urged, "You've come this far. You can't give up now."

"We need you," Her gentle hand patted the top of Ryujin's head, "Yeji needs you."

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Thankfully, the ward they escaped to had another entryway that led to a set of stairs to the second floor. They were also grateful that they didn't run into any more undead on the way. Yeji clutched her left shoulder, feeling the throbbing pain, but she knew it wasn't anything too severe.

Chaeryeong noticed Yeji's hand on her shoulder and slowed her pace to walk alongside her.

"That was pretty cool of you," Chaeryeong whispered, a hint of admiration in her tone.

Yeji chuckled softly, "Spur of the moment," she replied, massaging the sore muscle.

"We'll get it checked out when we get back," Chaeryeong assured her.

Grateful for the concern, Yeji nodded. They continued to follow Lia and Yuna through the maze of hospital hallways, each turn they made revealed the same layout, making it disorienting. Yeji hadn't spent much time in hospitals before, except when one of her dad's workers got injured using tools or machinery, and even then it was infrequent.

The corridors were dark, but their eyes had adjusted to the lack of light. Yeji wondered how Lia managed to make sense of her surroundings in these conditions. It also made her curious about Lia's expertise in the medical field.

But those were questions for later. Right now, they had to focus on reaching the ICU.

After a few minutes of wandering, they arrived at two heavy doors. Yeji squinted to make out the lettering near the ceiling: "Intensive Care Unit."

Yuna unsheathed her knife, preparing herself for whatever might be in the next room. The rest of the group remained on guard, ready to cover the soldier. With a slow, creaking motion, Yuna opened the door, her eyes scanning the ward for any signs of danger.

To their surprise, no wandering corpses or ominous sounds were emanating from within. Yuna entered cautiously, then held the door open for the others to follow. As Chaeryeong stepped inside, Yuna grabbed a nearby crutch and wedged it between the door handles, an extra layer of security.

"I'm going to look for supplies we can use," Lia whispered, heading toward the pharmacy section of the ward. Yuna followed closely behind, leaving Chaeryeong and Yeji to explore the rooms.

The pair stuck close together, uncertain of what to expect as they ventured deeper into the ward. The scene before them was chaotic and grim—beds were overturned, gowns and medical supplies strewn haphazardly across the floor. With each step, they waded through the mess, the foul stench of decay invading their senses.