was that all it was?

Her fever eventually broke, a relief for Seulgi. With the cloth now resting in its bowl, Seulgi could finally sit back a little, her eyes occasionally flicking up from the book she had found in the cabin. Ryujin lay still on the bed, unconscious but thankfully not feverish anymore, only occasionally groaning and twitching from the sepsis.

The soft light of dawn filtered through the dense trees outside the windows, casting a gentle glow in the room. Seulgi took a deep breath, trying to calm the nerves that fluttered in her stomach. They should be back by now. Guilt nagged at her for not being with the girls on their mission to find supplies, but she knew her place was here, watching over Ryujin.

She trusted the girls, she had trained them herself. But Yeji... she hadn't had the chance to properly train Yeji.

They will protect her, right?

The thought of something happening to Yeji sent a shiver down Seulgi's spine. She couldn't bear the idea of breaking the news to Ryujin, seeing the devastation in her eyes. Over the past several weeks, Seulgi had observed the dynamic between Yeji and Ryujin. There were moments when she saw something more than friendship, a connection that ran deep between them. Despite their denials and the complexities of their situation, Seulgi couldn't ignore the unspoken bond that seemed to exist between the two.

She knew this kind of connection well, having experienced it herself in the past. It was the kind of bond that transcended words, an invisible string that drew them together. Seulgi found herself hoping, against the odds, that they would both come back safe and sound. Ryujin needed Yeji, and deep down, Seulgi knew that Yeji needed Ryujin just as much.

The sound of gravel crunching under tires shattered the quiet of the night, jolting Seulgi from her thoughts. In an instant, she was on her feet, rushing out of the bedroom and down the hall to the living room. There, resting on the sofa, was her shotgun. Without hesitation, she grabbed the weapon and moved to the window overlooking the front porch.

Peering through the darkness, her heart raced with anticipation. The headlights of a car emerged from the driveway, casting an eerie glow. As the vehicle pulled up next to Ryujin's Evo, Seulgi braced herself for anything. But then, relief flooded her as she recognized the familiar figure of the cat-eyed woman.

Her grip on the gun relaxed as she watched the woman swing open the car door and hurry towards the front door of the cabin. Seulgi let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. They were back. The team had returned.

She had never doubted that they wouldn't make it back safely.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Rushing up the porch steps, Yeji's heart pounded in her chest, the urgency to see Ryujin overwhelming any rational thoughts. Ignoring the pain coursing through her body and the throbbing pain from her shoulder, she reached the front door where Seulgi stood waiting. With trembling hands, Yeji pushed the door open and practically stumbled into the cabin.

"Yeji..." Seulgi's voice was a comforting anchor in the chaos of Yeji's mind. She placed her gun aside, focusing all her attention on the frantic girl before her.

Yeji's eyes widened with unspoken questions, her lips quivering as she struggled to find the words. Is Ryujin okay? Is she alive? Is she still here ? The fear etched on her face needed no words to convey.

Seulgi's hands found their place on Yeji's sides, holding her steady. Their eyes locked, and in that moment, a silent understanding passed between them.

"She's okay," Seulgi's voice was a soothing balm, calming the storm of emotions raging within Yeji. "She's going to be okay now that you're here."

Yeji felt a wave of relief wash over her, tears of gratitude and fear threatening to spill. Without a second thought, she leaned into Seulgi's embrace, her arms wrapping around the older woman.