take on me.

"What's on the shopping list?"

Ryujin fumbled in her inner jacket pocket, searching for a strip of old newspaper where Seulgi had scrawled the "fundamental survival must-haves for a zombie apocalypse."

"Water... canned food... the usual," Ryujin listed off, squinting at the nearly illegible scribbles.

"Check the back. I think there's more stuff listed there," Yeji replied, keeping her eyes on the road.

Over the past few weeks, Ryujin had decided it was time for Yeji to practice her driving skills—just in case things went south and Yeji was the only one who could drive. At least, that was the official reason. In reality, Ryujin loved seeing Yeji in the driver's seat, her fingers curling around the steering wheel... secretly wishing those fingers were wrapped around her instead.

Flipping the paper over, Ryujin tried to focus, stopping her mind from wandering and imagining all the things Yeji could do to her. Finally, she squinted at the small, neater handwriting and read the list aloud.

"Chocolate... hot chocolate... snacks... Isn't this Lia's list?" Ryujin asked, turning down the stereo.

"It is," Yeji confirmed.

"Then we're not getting it for her," Ryujin declared, folding the list and shoving it into her pocket.

"Don't be too hard on her, Ryujinnie," Yeji said sweetly, giving a soft smile.

"But she's been walking in on our private time," Ryujin mumbled, sulking and pouting slightly.

Yeji nodded in agreement. Lia had been spending more time with them lately, but it wasn't with bad intentions. Earlier in the week, Seulgi had mentioned to her that Lia had been experiencing nightmares and trouble sleeping.

While Yuna and Chaeryeong tended to sleep early, Yeji and Ryujin would stay up chatting or partaking in their intimate bedroom activities. Since Lia didn't want to disturb Seulgi or the other couple, she would wander into Ryujin and Yeji's bedroom to spend time.

Usually, they didn't mind Lia hanging out in their room. However, sometimes she would interrupt their makeout sessions or intimate moments, like a child scared of the dark and needing comfort.

For the most part, Yeji didn't mind, but Ryujin had grown a little irritated. Yeji understood her frustration, but she couldn't bring herself to explain Lia's struggle with sleeping; it wasn't her story to tell.

"I know, but think about it. Lia probably wants to hang out with people her age rather than Seulgi, who is older and more mature than us," Yeji said gently, turning towards the exit off the highway.

"Then why not Yuna and Chaeryeong?"

"Because they're a couple."

"We're also a couple," Ryujin replied softly, her uncertainty showing. "We are...aren't we?"

That was when it hit her—they never really discussed what they were. Yeji glanced over at Ryujin for a brief second, a small smile playing on her lips.

"I thought that was established," she said softly, her voice blending with the 1975 song emanating through the speakers. "You know, since that day we fell off the bike."

She could see the flush on Ryujin's cheeks in the corner of her eye, causing her to chuckle lightly.

"It wasn't the way I planned to ask you out," Ryujin mumbled, rubbing her face with her cold hands to try and soothe the redness.

Yeji hummed a little, turning into the parking lot. As she parked the car and turned off the engine, she shrugged.

"I thought it was romantic—y'know, laying in the snow—"