today is the greatest.

With each bump of the road, Ryujin silently groaned to herself. Her aching head leaned against the cool backseat window, trying to steal a moment of rest before their weekly supply run. Seulgi had tasked them with gathering supplies, their pantry dwindling with each passing day, and they were reliant on these trips until Lia's experiment yielded results.

However, today they had to make another stop. Seulgi had predicted that with the season change, rain and sleet were bound to make their appearance. So they had to find winter wear— snow jackets, thick gloves and socks were high on their priority list.

Another jolt from a pothole caused her weary eyes to flutter open. The pain in her arm was a constant throb, making even the simple act of putting on her sweater in the morning an ordeal. All she wanted was to curl up in bed and sleep away the ache, but that would only raise concern among the group, especially the woman sitting beside her.

A gentle hand came to rest on her shoulder, the thumb softly rubbing circles into her tense muscles.

"What's wrong, Ryu?" Yeji's voice was a soothing whisper, just loud enough for Ryujin to hear over the hum of the engine and the conversation upfront.

Ryujin groggily shook her head, unable to find the words, before returning to her previous slouched position, arms crossed tightly.

Yeji leaned back in her seat, concern furrowing her brow as she watched Ryujin. The lack of response only made her anxiety grow, but before she could voice her worries, they had already pulled into the parking lot. Yeji stole a glance through the window, assessing their surroundings as they arrived.

Stray shopping carts were scattered around the lot, abandoned cars and rusted motorbikes sinking into the ground. Grass sprouted defiantly from the cracks in the asphalt. Yuna navigated the SUV through the debris, pulling up to the entrance of the building. The double sliding doors were open halfway, making it easy work for them to get into the shopping mall.

"We're here," Chaeryeong announced, swinging open the car door with a forceful slam.

"Hey Ryu, time to wake up," she nudged Ryujin gently, trying to rouse her from her daze.

Ryujin slowly stirred, the world coming back into focus as she blinked away the remnants of her interrupted rest.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded, still feeling disoriented as she reached for the door handle. She stumbled out of the car, the ground feeling unsteady beneath her feet. With a shaky hand, she went to the trunk to retrieve her gear.

Yuna, ever observant, noticed Ryujin's state and handed her the backpack and axe, "You don't look too hot."

"Don't feel hot," Ryujin muttered, her jaw clenched against the throbbing pain in her arm. She slung the backpack over her shoulders and shakily fastened the axe to her belt.

Chaeryeong and Yuna led the way to the double doors, their boots clunking heavily against the cracked pavement. Ryujin followed, her steps feeling more labored than usual, the weight of exhaustion and pain dragging at her limbs. She looked down at her boots, noticing how they sank deeper into the ground with each step.

Suddenly, she felt a gentle touch on her hand and looked up to see Yeji beside her, her expression filled with concern.

They approached the mall entrance, the once-automatic sliding doors now stuck halfway open. Yuna shimmied her way through the narrow gap with ease. She emerged on the other side, scanning the surroundings for any signs of danger.

Before Ryujin knew it, Chaeryeong and Yeji had already slipped through the gap. The cat-eyed woman extended her hand through the doors, offering assistance in navigating the narrow opening. Ryujin gratefully took her hand, feeling the weight of her backpack pressing against her back as she squeezed through into the mall.