Sorrows

Me and Enzo clung our bodies to the wall, our hearts pounding with fear. We had no idea what would happen next. Adrenaline pumped through our veins, making it difficult to think clearly.

Enzo asked, his voice shaky, "Who are they? What do they want from us?"

My uncle's, I whispered, crawling to the side of the window to see what was happening. Enzo crawled beside me, his eyes wide with fear.

"What do they want?" he whispered.

"I don't know, Enzo," I murmured, my voice barely audible. As I peered through the window, I saw a group of masked figures moving beside my uncles.

Mother, I heard Uncle Lee's voice. You've lied to us for 18 years. Where is he? He hissed, his voice filled with anger. Enzo and I exchanged worried glances, realizing that our family's darkest secret was about to be revealed.

"Sleeping in his room," Grandpa replied, his voice trembling. Enzo and I froze.

"With his pregnant girlfriend?" Uncle Kang asked.

"Yes," Grandpa replied, his voice barely audible.

"Bring them here," Uncle Lee said, and the men behind him rushed in and checked all the rooms

The rooms are empty; they said as they came out. Their expressions are cold and determined.

Lies... lies... lies... Uncle Kang hissed.

They were sleeping when I left for my afternoon walk," Grandpa said, contradicting their claim that the rooms were empty.

Lee, what's the meaning of all this? Grandmother asked.

He sneered and replied, the fact that you lied, saying he was a girl from the beginning, was your idea and your beloved son and his wife followed your lead.

Does it matter if he's a boy? Do you want to kill him as you did his father? "Mom said, with venom in her voice. My god, was this why Mother never talked about Dad? His brothers killed him, and now they target me.

"And maybe kill you too," Uncle Kang said, his voice filled with chilling intensity. The weight of his words hung in the air.

Enzo's voice trembled as he whispered to me, "Let's leave here. I can't bear to be around them anymore." Tears welled up in his eyes, reflecting the pain and betrayal I felt from my family.

No, I shook my head, refusing to believe that the family I had known my whole life could be capable of such cruelty and deceit. I held Enzo's hand tightly. I need to know what happened to my father, please.

Okay, Enzo nodded, his grip on my hand tightening.

"Well, you should have taken responsibility for the blame. Why set Shi up?" Mom hissed.

"Shi was getting way ahead of himself. You see, he wants to behave like we are mates," Uncle Lee hissed, his voice dripping with disdain.

"Why did you despise my son so much?" Grandma asked, her voice cracking with emotion.

"Because he feels he is better than us," Uncle Lee sneered, his voice filled with bitterness. "You and Pa compared us to him all the time. You praised him, you loved him more than you loved us. It fueled his arrogance and made him think he could treat us however he pleased."

"Because he had the audacity to take control of his own life and not rely on your father for everything," Grandma said, tears streaming down her face. "He was independent and determined, and that threatened all of you. I hate you all for what you did to him."