chapter 40: Marrielle's wedding

As Neri watched the joyous celebration of her daughter Marielle's wedding unfold, her heart swelled with pride and happiness. Surrounded by family, friends, and loved ones, the atmosphere was filled with laughter, music, and the promise of new beginnings.

However, amidst the festivities, Neri couldn't shake the lingering thoughts about her best friend—the one person she hadn't invited to the wedding. It wasn't an oversight; rather, a deliberate choice born out of years of hurt and betrayal.

Neri couldn't forget the times her best friend had been her number one detractor, casting doubt and spreading rumors about her. The wounds from those betrayals ran deep, leaving scars that hadn't fully healed.

Amidst the lively chatter and the clinking of glasses, Red noticed the somber expression on Neri's face. He gently squeezed her hand, silently acknowledging the turmoil she must be feeling.

Red: "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Neri managed a weak smile, her gaze drifting toward the dance floor where Marielle and her new spouse swayed to the music.

Neri: "I'm just... reflecting, I suppose."

Red nodded, understanding the weight of unspoken emotions that hung in the air.

Red: "I know it's not easy, especially with everything that's happened."

Neri sighed, her thoughts drifting to her estranged best friend.

Neri: "I just can't shake the feeling... How could I invite someone who caused so much pain?"

Red wrapped an arm around Neri's shoulders, offering a comforting embrace.

Red: "You don't have to justify your decision, Neri. Your peace of mind matters more than anything."

Neri leaned into Red's embrace, finding solace in his words.

Neri: "Thank you, Red. I'm grateful for you, for our family."

Red pressed a tender kiss to Neri's forehead, his love for her evident in the warmth of his embrace.

Red: "We're in this together, Neri. Always."

As they stood together, surrounded by the love and laughter of their family, Neri felt a sense of gratitude wash over her. In that moment, she realized that while some friendships may fade, the love of her family would always endure, providing her with the strength and support she needed to navigate life's challenges.

As the evening progressed and the celebration continued, Neri found herself drawn into the joyous atmosphere of her daughter's wedding. She smiled as she watched Marielle twirl around the dance floor with her spouse, their laughter ringing out amidst the music and merriment.

Yet, despite the happiness surrounding her, Neri's thoughts still lingered on her estranged best friend. She couldn't help but wonder if things could have been different if their friendship could have endured despite the trials they faced.

Lost in her thoughts, Neri barely noticed when someone approached her from behind. It was Marielle, her eyes shining with happiness and love.

Marielle: "Mom, are you okay?"

Neri turned to face her daughter, a warm smile spreading across her lips.

Neri: "I'm fine, sweetheart. Just caught up in the moment."

Marielle studied her mother's expression, her intuition sensing the deeper emotions beneath the surface.

Marielle: "I know it's been tough, Mom. But I'm so grateful for everything you've done for me, for us."