chapter 12: uplifting words

Red and Neri sat across from Atty. Marco in his office in General Santos City, their hearts heavy with the weight of legal implications hanging over their relationship. They had come seeking guidance, hoping for clarity in the face of the obstacles that stood between them.

Atty. Marco leaned forward, his expression grave as he addressed their concerns.

 Marco: "I understand your situation, Red, Neri. Section 1, Article 38 of the Family Code explicitly prohibits marriages between relatives up to the fourth civil degree, which includes first cousins."

Red and Neri exchanged a somber glance, the reality of their situation sinking in.

Red: "So, what does that mean for us?"

Neri's voice trembled with apprehension as she waited for Atty. Marco's response.

Marco sighed, his tone sympathetic but firm.

Atty. Marco: "It means that any marriage between first cousins would be considered void from the beginning according to Philippine law. The  relationship, while not illegal, would face significant legal impediments if you were to pursue marriage.. and the two of you are excluded from this---you are second cousins, not first cousins."

Red and Neri's hearts uplifted at Atty. Marco's words, the realization dawning upon them that their love faced only societal condemnation but not legal barriers.

Neri: "Are we allowed to get married?"

Atty. Marco paused, his gaze thoughtful as he considered their question.

Atty. Marco: "Fortunately, the law is clear on this matter. As it stands, there is no legal recourse to overcome the prohibition against marriages between first cousins, but you are not first cousins... Your best course of action may be to seek support and understanding from your families, even if they have initially reacted with disapproval... You both can marry,"

Red and Neri exchanged a hopeful look, the weight of their situation heavy upon their shoulders lightened from Atty Marco's, their Uncle, explanations. Amidst the judgment of their parents, family, and friends, a glimmer of hope remained—they could get married... Their unwavering love for each other is a beacon guiding them through the harsh judgment of society.

Red and Neri couldn't contain their relief as Atty. Marco clarified their legal standing. The weight that had been pressing down on them lifted, replaced by a newfound sense of hope and possibility.

Red: "So... we can get married?"

Neri's eyes sparkled with joy as she looked at Atty. Marco for confirmation.

Atty. Marco nodded, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips.

Marco: "Yes, you can. Your relationship falls outside the legal prohibition against marriages between first cousins. You are second cousins, which means no legal barriers are preventing you from getting married."

Red and Neri exchanged a look of elation, their hearts soaring with the realization that their love was not bound by legal constraints.

Neri: "Thank you, Atty. Marco. You've given us hope."

Marco: Why Atty Marco, don't you remember I am your Tita Xandra's husband? So I would feel good if you both called me Tito...

Neri: Thank you, Tito Marcoi.

Red: "Yes, thank you so much for your guidance."

Atty. Marco's smile widened, genuine warmth in his eyes as he spoke.

Marco: "You're both welcome. Remember, the law may pose challenges, but love has a way of overcoming obstacles. I wish you all the best in your journey together."