Planning a date

Valentino

Once West got home, I walked Misty home and headed to Uncle Romeo's house. I entered to hear Ryan and his dad arguing.

"Who cares if some girl likes you? I had girls chasing me when I didn't want them to," Romoe told Ryan.

"Carly keeps trying to get me to go out with her. She won't leave me alone. It's causing problems with Lena," Ryan said.

"Then tell Carly no. Her parents are paying us an outrageous amount of money to throw a party for their daughter."

"When did money mean more to you than me?"

"Ryan, that's not fair."

"No, Dad. What's not fair is you not giving a shit about me while making money."

I cleared my throat, getting their attention.

"Hey, Tino," Uncle Romeo said.

"Hey. Is this a bad time?"

"Nope," Ryan said before leaving the kitchen and heading upstairs.

Uncle Romeo rubbed his face with his hands before dropping them. "Excuse your cousin. He doesn't understand that things cost money."

"Or he understands that money means nothing."

"Yeah, we took a hit with my medical bills."

"I'm sure the family would help you out."

"Tino, you can't always rely on your family to bail you out. Dad's company took a hit years ago because of a client. It took him years to recoup the money. Other family members struggled when they weren't working. Eventually, funds become depleted."

"But the family is doing well."

"Now they are, but businesses struggle."

"How about if I help you with Ryan in exchange for your help?"

"What did you need my help with?"

"I want to plan a date with Misty. Since you're the expert, I thought I would ask you."

"True. What kind of date did you want?"

"Something simple and romantic."

"When do you want this date to happen?"

"I was thinking this weekend."

"Okay, let me see what I can do."

"Thanks." I left the kitchen and headed upstairs to help Ryan. I opened his door and got smacked with a pillow.

"Go away, Dad," Ryan huffed.

"I'm not your dad."

Ryan looked at me in annoyance. "Then you can go away."

"No, because you're acting like a tool right now."

"Did you come here to annoy me? Go bother River."

"I would, but his dad is making him run with him tomorrow morning. Let's get down to business. Why don't you tell Lena that you don't like Carly?"

"I did. But Carly keeps up her bullshit when she sees me with Lena. If I retaliate, she threatened to fire my dad."

"What?"

Ryan looked at me.

"Why didn't you tell your dad the truth?"

"I tried. But my folks are struggling. Between their medical bills, it's taken a hit on their business. The doctor has to change Ma's medication again. So, Dad has been handling the business solo."