Spring break with the Harpers

Misty

Spring break arrived, and so did the decision about where to go for our week off from school. We went to Tino's family cabin with Val, Kadia, my dad, Alana, the cousins, the girls, Tino, and me. Apparently, our parents didn't trust us. I had to agree with them. I didn't trust us, either. Have you met us?

The brothers and their wives were all for the idea except Rafe. He wasn't too thrilled with letting River out of his sight. Val convinced him that River would be fine since he was going with us. Rafe relented after giving Val a list for River.

How come the other brothers have no issue shipping their kids off for a week?

Since Val and my dad didn't trust us, six rode with my dad and Alana, while four rode with Val and Kadia. Tino, Preston, Kass, and I rode with Val and Kadia, while the others rode with my dad and Alana.

Kadia provided snacks and beverages, so we didn't complain during the trip. It didn't matter since Tino and Preston argued about a game they played on their phones.

"Enough. I don't want to hear you two bitch about some stupid game," Val said.

"You don't understand Uncle Val. I've worked my ass off to achieve the level I'm at. Tino keeps destroying my shit," Preston said.

"You destroyed mine first," Tino argued.

"Only because you started it."

Kass and I exchanged glances and rolled our eyes. We made Tino and Preston sit together, so we didn't deal with them. Yes, we were those girlfriends.

"I don't care who started it. Put your damn phones away before I throw them out the window," Val said.

Tino and Preston grumbled before putting their phones away.

"Was it a good idea to spend spring together with everyone?" Kass asked.

"It was that or dealing with our parents for the week," I said.

"So, we get screwed either way."

"Pretty much."

Tino and Preston cocked their heads at us and scrunched their faces. Did they think we would be over the moon to deal with them for a straight week? Have we not learned anything from the past?

We arrived at the cabin and dragged our bags inside the rooms. The girls and I got the loft while Tino and Preston shared a room. The adults had their own bedrooms, while Ryan, River, and Michael were relegated to the pull-out couch. It sucks to be them.

"How the hell do we have to share a bed?" Ryan asked.

"We drew the short straws," River said.

"Great. I always dream of cuddling my dipshit cousins," Michael said.

"It's not like you're a prize," Ryan said.

"Yeah, you snore," River said.

"You drool," Michael said.

Val had to separate them before they jumped on each other. It was better than Preston and Ryan duking it out.

The adults gathered us in the main room to review a few rules. No veering from the main path, so no one got poison ivy. Don't attract any bears. There was no skinny dipping or any unholy behavior in the lake and no drinking or illegal substances. And absolutely don't get pregnant.

Geez, you would think we were sexual deviants who drank and ran from bears into poison ivy. We weren't that insane.

Val and my dad headed to the local grocery store and left Kadia and Alana in charge of us. Once we heard the car leave, Kadia and Alana cut us loose but told us to return before Val and my dad returned. I like Alana and Kadia more and more.