Ripping the bandaid off

Misty

After my conversation with Tino, I sat on the couch while my dad, Val, Val's brothers, his nephews, and Tino looked at me like a freaking science experiment. "Will you stop looking at me like that? It's creeping me out."

"Sorry, sis," my dad apologized as he sat beside me on the couch.

"What do you remember?" Val asked me.

"Those idiots," I pointed at the cousins, "made my life a living hell. If they weren't stealing my underwear, they read my freaking journal to the entire school. That's why I refuse to keep a journal."

"Okay." Val rubbed the back of his neck and shot Tino and the other tools a look. "Do you remember anything else?"

"Bits and pieces." I shrugged.

"But you had a happy life with Grandpa. If you didn't, we wouldn't be here," Pat said.

"I don't remember most of that life." I stood up abruptly. "If you'll excuse me, I have other places to be that's not here." I ran out of the front door, away from the stares.

How is it I return to a similar life that I had? Instead of brothers, now they're cousins. What kind of bullshit is this?

"Misty!" An annoying voice called.

I glanced behind me at Banks but kept on walking. Of course, the idiot had to fall in step with me. "Can I help you?"

"I thought we could hang out?"

I stopped and turned to Banks. "What would possess your pea-sized brain to think that?"

Banks stepped into my bubble. "Why wouldn't I think that? You're hot." A smirk grew on his lips.

"Well, you're not."

Banks leaned into me as his putrid breath fanned my face, unlike Tino, who had minty breath. My face scrunched in disgust.

"You know you fantasize about me."

"I fantasize about pushing you into a copperhead pit." I put my hand on his face and pushed it away before I gagged.

"Oh, come on, Misty. Don't be like that." Banks tried to paw me.

Then, someone thumped his head, making him drop to the ground.

"Damn, twit," Preston said, shaking his head.

I looked at the cousins and rolled my eyes. "Why are you here?"

"The same reason you are. Or did your dad drop you frequently?" Ryan asked.

"It's bad enough I dealt with you the first time. Now, I don't need to again."

"You're much crankier than before," River said.

"And you're a certifiable idiot."

"We've gotten wiser throughout the years," Michael said.

"Meet any hookers lately?"

Michael gave me an annoyed look.

Tino lifted me off my feet and threw me over his shoulder before carrying me off like the caveman that he was. A hot caveman, but still a caveman.

*******
Valentino

We were getting nowhere while bickering. My dad didn't even get a chance to explain things before Misty bolted. So, I called someone who Misty would recognize. But first, I needed to keep Misty from bolting again.

Misty sat in a kitchen chair with her wrists and ankles tied to the arms and legs, with her mouth gagged.

"You're getting better with your time, Preston," Ryan said.