To homecoming or not to homecoming, that is the question?

Misty

Staying with Tino and his folks was okay, albeit his annoying cousins kept popping up like unwanted toe fungus. Don't they have a home, with parents, that keeps them away from me? Apparently not.

I walked down the hallway with my friends while they discussed homecoming.

"Are you going to homecoming?" Kass asked me.

"And suffer humiliation once again? No, thank you," I said.

"Yeah, but it won't be like the last time since that schmuck won't ruin it," Chelle said.

"Plus, don't you have tall, dark, and crazy taking you?" Lena asked.

I glanced at Lena. "Tino isn't crazy."

"Have you met lover boy? The dude is certifiable."

"Since when?"

"Since we got dragged into this mess again." Lena shrugged.

"Listen, negativity. No one wants to listen to your sullen voice. It should make you happy that you have the love of your life again," Bria said.

"Have you met Ryan? He didn't just get the Gray and Harper DNA, but the Jones DNA, too. Something is always bound to go wrong when he attends a function."

"You have no faith in your man," Chelle told Lena.

"I have every faith that Nathan will screw the pooch like he always did." Lena shrugged again.

"It's good to know some things never changed from the previous life," Kass said.

I shook my head before the cousins ambushed us in the hallway.

"Ladies," Preston greeted the girls before glancing at me. "Crazy."

I rolled my eyes. "Jackass."

"Still unpleasant as always, Misty." Preston smirked.

"At least I'm not a slob, unlike others I know."

"I'll have you know I cleaned up my act." Preston wagged his finger at me.

"Febreze doesn't count. Try deodorant the next time or a shower. There's this nifty invention called soap."

"Too bad you forgot to use some."

"Is there ever a time you two don't throw jabs at each other?" Ryan asked.

"Have you met us?" Preston gestured between me and him.

"We grew up with you, tool," River said.

"Then you understand why that was a stupid question."

Before I could offer a lovely retort, Tino dragged me away. "You could have asked nicely."

"What fun is that?" Tino led me to the cafeteria before stopping.

I stared at the scene in front of me with my brow pinched.  A giant banner and balloons asked me if I would attend homecoming. I wasn't sure what to make of this.

Tino turned to me. "Well?"

"You want to take me to homecoming?"

Tino took my hands in his and held them. "I didn't get to take you to your last high school homecoming. I wanted another chance to take you."

"This isn't a prank, is it?"

"Nope, I'm not an asswipe." Tino grinned.

My lips curled into a fond smile, remembering coming home from homecoming and getting caught by Nash.