seven

He's this close to giving up.

It's the fourth and last week of the month before he's got to submit the checklist back to Namjoon and he's struggling to find another place to volunteer at.

Three places. Two down. One to go. But of course, the hardest to find had to be the last one on the last week.

Namjoon had lent Beomgyu a list of places in need of volunteers but whenever Beomgyu went over to check out the places, no matter how far they were, it's either their volunteering services aren't available or they're closed.

In every way, Beomgyu's avoiding the pet shelter at all cost.
After school, Beomgyu settles down on a bench at the park, pulling out his pen to cross off the name of places that don't need volunteers off the list.

The brunette squint his eyes as he trails his pen down the list, darting over the list of crossed out names until it lands on a particular name that hasn't been crossed.
Beomgyu sighs.

'Of course, it had to be the pet shelter.'
Beomgyu stands up and continues his journey down town. It really looks like he has no choice but to volunteer at the pet shelter.

Minutes later, he finds himself outside the white exterior, tip-toeing as he contemplates whether or not to enter the lot. He shakes his head and shrugs his shoulder before approaching the door and pushing it open.

Stepping foot into the shelter, Beomgyu's instantly swarmed by the familiar puppies he met the other day and he smiles widely, crouching down to pet them as they jump in excitement upon his arrival. It's surprising enough that they remember Beomgyu despite coming in once.

Twice to be exact.
"What are you doing here?"
Beomgyu lifts his head upon hearing the familiar voice. He snickers, and gets up on his feet to meet the younger's eye level.

"I'm here to volunteer." Beomgyu smirks.
Taehyun bats his eyelashes, questioning the older with his eyes. If Taehyun didn't have such large doe eyes, Beomgyu would think his eyes enlarged in shock.

Taehyun scoffs, jeering his eyes at the latter.
"I think you're at the wrong place, hyung." Taehyun says before turning around to leave, but Beomgyu grabs the younger by the wrist, turning him around to face him.

Taehyun winches in pain when he feels the latter's grip on him tightens.
"Hyung, let go!!" Taehyun shrugs his hand off.

"I'll do proper work!!" Beomgyu raises his voice, but later realising that he should calm his temper. "I just need three days, 5 hours each. I'd do any work you throw at me. And then I'll get out of your hair."

Taehyun's eyes soften when he sees the genuine gaze of the older's on him.
"Please..." Beomgyu pleads. "I need to graduate." He says.
Taehyun sighs in defeat and nods. The black hair boy grabs an apron, a empty bucket with towels in them and holds it out to Beomgyu.

"You can start with cleaning their cages. Wear the apron so that your uniform won't stain. If you need me, I'll be at the back." Taehyun says, looking away.
Beomgyu smiles and takes the stuff from Taehyun's grasp.
"Thank you."

Taehyun nods before entering a room at the corner. Beomgyu goes straight to work by getting water from the toilet and submerging the towels into the water, squeezing them in his hands to clean the cages.

It's an added advantage to him that he's quite good with animals, so it was a piece of cake whenever he needed to get the animals out from their cages despite their stubborn asses.

After a few hours of cleaning the cages and place up a big, Beomgyu decides to feed the animals, placing their kibble into their bowls while they swarm to eat.
The kittens and puppies needed extra care on the other hand especially the new born. Since they're not skilled yet, Beomgyu feeds them through a syringe.