Chapter 51- Not Long Before...

Flashback continues~

Lightoller fiddled his fingers, pressing his back against the chair with growing insecurity inside him. His eyes were stuck on the clock's hands of the huge wall clock that was hung. He was hoping that Jungkook would open his eyes, but he didn't. His eyelids kept closed as they were glued. Jungkook was under a ventilator at the local hospital.

Lightoller had no heart to just leave him there all by himself. 

It's been three days since they shipped off from Carpathia, the hero of the Titanic survivors.

The survivors were sent to the campaign near the harbor until they settled down. They were provided with all the basic facilities they needed. The ones who needed immediate medical support were sent to the nearby local hospital. 

Jungkook's unconscious body was taken to the hospital.  After taking to the hospital bay of the Carpathia, the doctors did their best to bring his vitals back to normal. Severe loss of body heat and low blood pressure weren't a good sign at all.

The moment the machine started beeping showing a straight line on the screen, they thought it was over.

"He's in cardiac arrest! Start CPR!"

The whole staff that was working in the ICU started panicking. The doctors ran to him and started giving CPR instantly as his heartbeat showed a linear line.

Jungkook's body vigorously shook when the doctor frantically pressed his palms against his chest while the nurse held the Ambu bag.

Lightoller who was watching from the glass that was the barrier between them, tried very hard to hold the tears that were trying to escape his sockets. He couldn't bear it as he saw the doctors trying their last treatment of hope on his captain.

"Please don't go captain, You have to live..."

Lightoller couldn't watch it anymore. He back-faced the scenery and heaved a deep sigh.
It was heart-clenching to see him crying, leaning his back against the door of the ICU room.

"God, please make him live..." he kept praying, holding to the cross he was wearing around his neck. 

The door opened in a few minutes, revealing the figure of the tall doctor who was wiping tickling sweat out of his forehead. He googled from his eyes for Lightoller. He reached the man who watched him nervously. Lightoller didn't want to hear what he was about to say.

He didn't want to hear that Jungkook was gone too.

"Mr Lightoller?" The doctor called him. Lightoller stepped with a heavy heart.

"Mr. Jeon, he..." the officer closed his eyes. He felt like his heart was torn apart.

Jungkook was gone too...

"He is stable now. His vitals are back to normal, surprisingly" Lightoller held his breath and stared with wide eyes. Did he hear right? Did he say that Jungkook made it?