Sorry for your Loss

*Slight trigger warning. Rena's past might get a little dark Sorry >.<*

Rena was staring at the pile of ash and blackened wood that used to be her home or the place that was called her home. She didn't feel much looking at it, It held very few good memories, the best memories were in the treehouse. She looked to the tree and what remained of the one happy place she had here. Half of it was burned, the remaining half barely holding on. She caught a quick glance at the carving in the tree, the side with the "C" had been burned. Her heart sank. Is that the world telling me something?

"Miss Reyes?" an officer spoke up as they approached her.

"Yes?" she said as she turned to face them.

"We'd like you to come with us to the station. It's just routine stuff, but we'd like you to confirm some information and there is a box of the few things that were recovered from the fire. There is also the matter of the will." the officer explained.

"Right," she replied with sadness in her voice. She didn't really want to deal with this part but the officers said there were some questions they wanted to ask her so she reluctantly went with them. As they drove to the station she looked out the window, letting her mind wander to the past.

She remembered back to her mother's funeral. Her grandmother was distraught, even though they had their differences she loved her daughter very much. The same couldn't be said for Rena. She saw the way her grandmother looked at her with disappointment and resentment. She even told Rena she was the reason her daughter had died at one point. That Rena's birth was the beginning of the end for her daughter. That her cancer accelerated because of the pregnancy and the birth. She said that Rena reminded her too much of the man who ruined her daughter. So she would leave Rena at home while she traveled the world. Hoping she could be free of the reminders.

When she was home, she would be overly strict with Rena. Telling her that if she was to stay under her roof and her care, she would be a respectable individual. She was lucky she decided to take her in instead of sending her into foster care. To repay her grandmother, she was to study hard, get straight A's, and put 110% in everything that she did. She had no room for distractions, so Rena did as she was told because she had nothing else, no one else.

They made it to the station and Rena went inside to complete everything the police needed from her. She filled out so much paperwork and her mind was a puddle by the end of it. Just when she thought she was done an officer pulled her into an office to have a final discussion with her.

"Miss Reyes, there is one more thing we need to discuss with you." the officer started.

"Alright, what is it?" she answered, just ready to be home already. She was exhausted from all the paperwork and questions.

"Do you know anything of your father's "business" endeavors?"

"No. I've never even met him," she responded dryly.

"Alright. What can you tell me about a Clark Emerson," they asked.

Rena froze. "What...What does Clark have to do with any of this?"

"Well, he was seen with your father a few times, and eye witnesses said there was a rather heated argument during one of these meetings. That was the last time he was seen. Clark has been missing ever since. That was roughly... 18 months ago."

"He's missing?!" Rena couldn't believe what she was hearing. What was the connection between her father and Clark? What could they have been arguing about? Was that why he never came back?

"Yes. Could you tell us what your relationship was with him?" They asked.

Rena started to choke up, especially at the word relationship. "Um..we were just..childhood friends. I haven't seen him in 5 years. I'm sorry."

"That's alright Miss. I believe that is all the questions we have for you. Again, we are very sorry for your loss." They said as they stood up.

Rena rose as well and headed to the door. "Thank you. Um, would... would you be able to tell me if you find anything out about Clark? I...I know I'm not family or anything but..."

"If it is within our clearance to do so, Have a good day Miss Reyes."

As Rena stepped out of the station, the sun was shining bright, as if to mock her. She felt so heavy. She was about to let herself fall but she reached into her pocket and felt something soft. She pulled it out of her pocket and smiled at what she saw. A small handkerchief with the Fairy Tail symbol embroidered on it. Inside the cloth, was a red feather.

"Thanks, you guys." She whispered as she started to tear up. Not from sadness, but remembering that there were people out there who were her friends and her family. She had a support group. She didn't have to be alone. Sure they were literal worlds apart but just knowing that they were thinking of her was comfort enough.

Suddenly her phone chimed. She pulled it out and much to her surprise it was a message from none other than the owner of the red feather himself. He had sent her a selfie of him with two coffees and some breakfast. The message read "Got one for you." then he sent another picture of the coffee sitting on the table of the balcony outside the room she had been staying in.

She let out a soft chuckle and responded "I bet whoever is there is going to be surprised with a random coffee spawning out of nowhere."

He responded quickly with "I left a not that it was from Hawks. I'm sure it will make someone's day. xD."

Mystie: "You are such a dorky bird." she responded back.

Hawkie: "Yeah, but you totally miss me. :P"

Mystie: "Don't you have patrolling to do?"

Hawkie: "Yeah, but it's quiet."

Hawkie:" Besides. I wanted to check on you."

Hawkie: "How's...you know..your world?"

Mystie: "It was a little rough. Received some..tough news, but I'll pull through."

Mystie: "Because I found the gift you and Lucy left me. Thank you."

Hawkie: "We just wanted you to have a piece of us with you, so you know you're not alone."

Mystie: "It definitely helped. Just when I needed it too. :)"

Hawkie: "Good. :) Catch ya in a bit then!"

Rena was feeling better. Sure there was a lingering in her heart, worried about her friend that was missing. It weighed heavy, heavier than her grandmother's death, but she knew she had to stay strong. She had a deeper feeling that he was still alive somewhere. For now, she was going to give Sy a piece of her mind for not telling her that Hawks was still able to text her from another world. Talk about fancy technology.

Little did Rena know, her deeper feeling was correct. He was alive somewhere, but he wasn't safe and they would be meeting in the distant future. In the most unexpected way.