Chapter 42

Sapphire's POV:

The next morning, I woke up feeling a mix of exhaustion and clarity. The weight of last night's argument with Alessia still lingered, but the space and comfort Grace and Celin had provided gave me a moment of calm amidst the storm.

I stretched and glanced at the clock on the nightstand. It was still early, and the soft morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a serene glow across the room. Grace had left a note on the bedside table: "Tea in the kitchen whenever you're ready. - Grace."

I smiled at her thoughtfulness and made my way to the kitchen. Grace was already there, sipping her tea and scrolling through her phone. She looked up as I entered and gave me a warm smile.

"Morning, Sapphire. Sleep okay?" she asked, pouring me a cup of tea.

"As well as I could, given everything," I replied, taking the cup gratefully. "Thanks again for letting me stay."

"Anytime," she said, gesturing for me to sit. "Want to talk about it?"

I took a deep breath, the events of the previous day swirling in my mind. "Alessia and I had a big fight. It's about Kyra. Caitlin told me she saw Kyra pinch Alessia's arse during training, and when I confronted Alessia, she brushed it off as friendly banter. But then I saw them talking privately, and it just didn't sit right with me."

Grace listened intently, nodding thoughtfully. "It sounds like there's a lot of underlying tension. Have you considered that maybe there's more to it than just friendly banter?"

"That's what I was afraid of," I admitted, feeling a lump form in my throat. "But Alessia insists there's nothing going on. I want to trust her, but it's hard when I see things that make me doubt."

Grace reached out and squeezed my hand. "Trust is crucial, Sapphire, but so is communication. Maybe it's time for a serious conversation with Alessia, away from all the distractions."

I nodded, appreciating her advice. "You're right. I need to talk to her and really listen to what she has to say."

Just then, my phone buzzed with a text from Alessia: "Hey, can we talk? I miss you."

I stared at the message, my heart conflicted. "She wants to talk," I said to Grace, showing her the text.

Grace smiled encouragingly. "That's a good sign. Go and talk to her. Remember, open and honest communication."

I finished my tea and thanked Grace again before heading back to my apartment. The drive felt shorter this time, my mind focused on the conversation ahead.

When I arrived, I found Alessia sitting on the couch, looking anxious and tired. She stood up as soon as she saw me, her eyes filled with a mix of relief and worry.

"Sapphire," she began, her voice trembling slightly. "I'm so sorry about last night. I never meant to make you feel like you couldn't trust me."

I took a deep breath, crossing the room to stand in front of her. "Alessia, I need to know the truth. Is there something going on with Kyra that you're not telling me?"

She shook her head vehemently, tears welling up in her eyes. "No, there's nothing going on. I promise you. Kyra and I are just friends, but I realise now how it might look. I should have been more considerate of your feelings."

I searched her eyes, looking for any sign of deceit, but all I saw was sincerity and regret. "I want to believe you, Alessia. But we need to be honest with each other. If something makes me uncomfortable, we need to talk about it."

She nodded, reaching out to take my hand. "I understand. I promise I'll be more open with you. I love you, Sapphire, and I don't want anything to come between us."